I'm at a bit of a loss....

Jaxdrisc

Songster
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
MA
My Coop
My Coop
I could really use some behavioral input. Here's the story. On July 3rd, my then 9 week old chickens (there are 4, all hand raised from day old) experienced their first thunderstorm. It was also their first experience with rain. The storm was violent. A microburst exploded above their heads sending limbs and trees everywhere. My son, trying to be helpful, went out immediately after the microburst stopped, and did a grab and toss into the pop door, then shut it. Crazy fool! Anyway, since then, 2 of my chickens have become very skittish when I approach them in the run to pick them up. I have been working with them carefully, treats, slow movements, gentle words. One is coming around and I think I can recondition her. But the other, Essie, I am beginning to think I lost her. She darts feverishly away from me and becomes almost frantic. I have to firmly grab her, then lift her and when holding her she does settle some. Then I gently release. But lately, she struggles to get loose. I hold her until she stops and relaxes, being gentle and cooing to her the entire time. I use shushing sounds softly. Then I gently release. But I can't seem to make progress with her. I have added treats into the mix and leaving my hands in and around when she is eating, but she remains skittish and moves quickly away. Sometimes I can gently run my hands over her, but not for long. The other 3 will hop onto my lap, but she no longer does and stays away. It is kind of sad, because I know she remembers the affection, but can't seem to get past this new anxiety. Like I said, the other is coming around and doing well with my approach. I would love to have her do the same....I feel strongly about being able to handle my birds for affection and care. Also, I am training for free ranging (small lot) and I can't allow her to if I can't approach her and pick her up. She does respond to scratch being shaken and being called. I know this is long, apologies, but I would LOVE some help and input! I am new to this, and am so enjoying these animals! I have 2 more 3 wk olds in the brooder, soon to be added when ready. Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

I could really use some behavioral input. Here's the story. On July 3rd, my then 9 week old chickens (there are 4, all hand raised from day old) experienced their first thunderstorm. It was also their first experience with rain. The storm was violent. A microburst exploded above their heads sending limbs and trees everywhere. My son, trying to be helpful, went out immediately after the microburst stopped, and did a grab and toss into the pop door, then shut it. Crazy fool! Anyway, since then, 2 of my chickens have become very skittish when I approach them in the run to pick them up. I have been working with them carefully, treats, slow movements, gentle words. One is coming around and I think I can recondition her. But the other, Essie, I am beginning to think I lost her. She darts feverishly away from me and becomes almost frantic. I have to firmly grab her, then lift her and when holding her she does settle some. Then I gently release. But lately, she struggles to get loose. I hold her until she stops and relaxes, being gentle and cooing to her the entire time. I use shushing sounds softly. Then I gently release. But I can't seem to make progress with her. I have added treats into the mix and leaving my hands in and around when she is eating, but she remains skittish and moves quickly away. Sometimes I can gently run my hands over her, but not for long. The other 3 will hop onto my lap, but she no longer does and stays away. It is kind of sad, because I know she remembers the affection, but can't seem to get past this new anxiety. Like I said, the other is coming around and doing well with my approach. I would love to have her do the same....I feel strongly about being able to handle my birds for affection and care. Also, I am training for free ranging (small lot) and I can't allow her to if I can't approach her and pick her up. She does respond to scratch being shaken and being called. I know this is long, apologies, but I would LOVE some help and input! I am new to this, and am so enjoying these animals! I have 2 more 3 wk olds in the brooder, soon to be added when ready. Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

1st bolded - stop grabbing and holding, even with the gentle release the grab and hold is only prolonging the process -- just sit, ignore and be present. Let her approach you - and even then, ignore. Let her hop on and off your lap. Have a handful of scratch or other treats that are just "there" and let her eat them out of your hand if she chooses. Let HER seek you. The grab and hold approach is only confirming you as a predator in her mind.

2nd bolded - if the latter is true the former is moot. You don't *have* to be able to approach and pick her up if you are able to get her to respond to your call - especially if the others also respond by coming to you, because flock mentality will bring her right along with them ESPECIALLY once the first bolded is addressed and you are no longer that big, scary thing that snatches her up.

So I've been doing it wrong..crap! I was following someone else's advice, but could obviously see it wasn't working. Thank you for your sage wisdom! I'll start today. She is a sweet bird and I would love it if she comes back into the fold, so to speak. Obviously I didn't realize that she was seeing me as a predator...that makes total sense. Love learning on this site! Thanks a ton! :)

Been "ignoring" Essie the last day or so, but now she has taken to biting me. She will come close, even sit next to me, but every now and then, she reaches out and takes a bite, not a peck. Pecking I get. Just did it again when I was cleaning out the coop. It is waist high for me and the birds often come in to visit and see what I'm doing. I sprinkle lavender around when I'm done and they love to eat that. She is intentionally looking for the opportunity. Most times I can see it coming and move my hand out of the way. Still got me though. Insight??
barnie.gif

Sometimes they do just change. This year I raised a group from a couple days old. In the brooder they were not shy and I could pick them up easily. Once I started letting them free range and live outside in the coop they have all become much more aloof. They'll come up to me, but don't really appreciate being held anymore.

I second the thought that you shouldn't chase. It's only adding to their fear. I think you just have to be patient, sit with them, give them treats, etc. As long as they respond to treats you can free range without absolutely being able to pick up in the field.

Could hormones be playing a role?

She may not ever become the little cuddle bug that you expect. She, as the Alpha pullet is taking the role of the rooster. She considers it her place to keep the rest of the flock under her submission, and it looks like she considers you to be a flock member, and she is trying to put you in your place. Does she only bite when you are cleaning the coop? If so, the easiest thing is to not let the chickens into the coop when you are cleaning. The biting behavior needs to be extinguished. Many species of birds are unreasonably defensive of their home, and become aggressive when it is invaded. It may be time for you to remind her that you are the Alpha. There are a lot of varying opinions about how to do this. What has worked the best for me is to:
* Never go around the alpha. When you are moving among the flock, if the alpha is in front of you, push her out of the way with your foot.
* You decide when she gets to eat. When you feed the flock, let the underlings eat first. Keep a light wt stick, and "herd" her away from the rest of the flock so they can eat first, or shut her into the coop while the rest of the flock gets first dibs on the goodies, then let her out.
* Herd her. With the same light wt stick, make her go where you want her to go. You never hit her with the stick, but gently touch it to her heiney to get her to move where you want her to go.
* An other option might be to isolate her from the rest of the flock for a week or more to establish an other Alpha. The new Alpha will then have to defend position, and if successful, the new Alpha will teach her some manners.

This may seem extreme, but if you have a pullet who is biting, her behavior may escalate to more aggression. If you have children, and even if you have visitors, you need to know that your pullet won't injure anyone, including you.

I'm pretty sure she is a "she". I have already had to return a rooster, and could tell by 6 weeks with him. One of the other BR's has a slightly larger comb than she. They all look the same. I'll post pictures below. Correct me if I am wrong...only way to learn! They'll be 11 weeks on Wed. The rooster was definitely in control, even at the early age. When he left, she took right over. I noticed her taking on the lead roll at that time. I have often had the impression that she sees me as a threat to her lead roll....that I am lead hen and she wants to challenge that a bit. No, she doesn't just bite when I am in the coop. That was new. She took a nip at me when I was sitting quietly in the run with them. No instigation. When I am turning over the litter, she loves to find the extra blossoms. That is why she comes in and is usually one of the first ones there when I open the access door. Actually, what is weird is, the others will leave and she stays with me. Hormones? Could be.....Sorry if I am jumping around a bit. Trying to answer all the questions. I so appreciate the input! Thank you, "Lazy Gardner" for the ideas! I absolutely do not want her behavior to escalate...hence why I am seeking help.

Essie, the current trouble maker!

Made this a little bigger....Essie is in front, Hilda in back, Bella is the Buff.

This is Annabelle the 3rd Barred Rock.

I'm no expert on chickens, let alone BR's; but looking at the pictures you've posted, Essie and Annabelle appear to be cockerels based on the feather coloring (more silver with black vs mostly black with white feathers for a pullet) and very slight black strip down the leg fronts. Again, I'm no expert just going off of speckledhen's guidance in THIS thread. Might be worth a read.

My six week BR pullet is distinctly BLACK w/ white feathering and has very substantial dark down the front of her legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom