I'm at a loss, please help my hen

Sorry, poop pic

Attachments

• 20170528_144353.jpg
    20170528_144353.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Has anyone seen poop like this? That big piece was a hard lump and it was fresh poop. I am wondering if she has a blockage, especially since the odor was so strong. Please...

It's possible she could have a blockage.

You can add a small amount of molasses to her water to see if that helps (molasses has a laxative effect).

Also offer poultry grit free (crushed granite) choice since she is inside at the moment, some chickens can have some crop issues and need a bit of extra grit to help process foods.

Check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight. Here's a very good article on crop issues:http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I may have a diagnosis for what your hen may have. Last December I had a two year old barred rock hen who was very lethargic, lost a tremendous amount of weight because she wasn't eating very much and had a difficult time walking. I brought her inside and she seemed to struggle on some days and act normal on others. Over the course of a few weeks her legs became very hot and inflamed and she struggled to stay awake and eat. We discovered that she had gout and we placed her on a low protein diet. We also feed her canned Tart Cherries, which helped reduce the inflammation in her legs within a month. My chicken is back to normal today but I have to keep her on the low protein diet to prevent the gout from returning. I hope this could help you and that your hen gets better soon!

I just gave her a lil organic coconut oil hoping it may help anything in there move out. She ate really good yesterday but no interest in food today. I am trying so hard to save her but after today I just don't know if she has the strength. I hope like your hen she has a better day tomorrow. This is killing me. She had a big poop earlier (nasty pics above) so I know some stuff is moving thru her. Didn't see any blood or anything that could be egg related. I have been tearing thru old posts and google trying to help her. Thank you for the reply, Im googling Gout now.

It is really hard to know for sure when so many symptoms can be from a variety of causes! I am going through something similar now and am not sure how to treat her as everything I have done hasn't fixed the issue. Good luck with yours.

It is really hard to know for sure when so many symptoms can be from a variety of causes! I am going through something similar now and am not sure how to treat her as everything I have done hasn't fixed the issue. Good luck with yours.

Thank u, she is eating more today. I just bathed her and she is looking alert. She apparently couldn't turn siren the yogurt with wheat germ and vitamins. She is on her second serving. I'll give het anything she wants. Poop looked better today and agree is showing a little movement in her legs. Is your hem immobile as well? Is she eating?

Back
Top Bottom