I'm becoming seriously confused

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curliet, Dec 1, 2010.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Alright, some of you know me well enough to know that there is always some confusion going on, but....
    Anyway, I have these 2 chickens that both hatched on Father's day. Spot and SweePea. Spot was a really tiny black ball in the brooder, I wasn't sure s/he would make it, but has grown into a beautiful, big RIR/something mix. And Sweepea appears to be mostly RIR, with maybe something else. I don't really care if they are mutts, that doesn't affect their "chickenness" for lack of a better word. What's confusing me is that neither of them has yet exhibited signs of being roos or hens. For a while I thought maybe Spot might be a roo because s/he seems very aggressive. But there has never been any kind of crowing or even attempting to crow, and by this age I would expect something. Neither of them has squatted yet or shown any other signs of being hens either. Is there something else I should be looking for? Or does it sometimes take longer than this for the signs to develope?

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess is they are both girls and have yet to lay. You definately would have to post pics though as it helps! My last girls were all born in June and with the shorter days I have yet to get an egg. Be patient and enjoy their "chickeness".

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    RIRs generally develop secondary sexual characteristics pretty early on. At least mine did. I had no doubt after 5 weeks that I had a roo. He started crowing very young as well. I think he was about 12 weeks when he was crowing regularly.

Pics would help.

5. curliet

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Well, I went out and grabbed those 2 chooks and got a couple of pix of them. After looking at them I could see what you all were talking about, and if you're right (no reason to believe that you aren't) Spot is a Roo cuz he has those pointy feathers and SweePea should get started squatting pretty soon, as her feathers are rounded. Here's the pix....

Spot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweepea
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spot and Sweepea together
    [​IMG]

6. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Looks to me like Spot is a rooster and Sweepea is a pullet

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    "I'm becoming seriously confused'

Sorry T, you know I love you, but I read that and my my first thought was...."when isn't she confused???" (Coming from someone else that suffers from fibro fog). [​IMG]

Spot is a roo. Sweet Pea is a hen. [​IMG]

8. curliet

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    See Kat, I knew that you were gonna say that, so I qualified the statement right off the bat!!!!

"Alright, some of you know me well enough to know that there is always some confusion going on, but...."

But I do appreciate the help from my chicken lovin' buddies here on this forum.

And BTW Kat, I sure hope that you're feeling better. I'm sending lots of [​IMG] and [​IMG].

9. colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Dacono, CO
    Yard full o' rocks :

Looks to me like Spot is a rooster and Sweepea is a pullet

I'd have to agree. Spot looks alot like our barnie roo and sweetpea looks like our RIR hen​

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by