im confused on feeding ....

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
ok so my chicks are scattered ages some a week some 3 days old so i have been giving them 20% chick starter so when do i add all this other stuff in and whats it called? lick this grit and stuff...

I dont feed mine grit until they are out with the adults. But if they have access to the ground that has small rocks, you dont have to feed them grit because the will find enough small gravels and such to work as grit.

Read the lable on your feed bag, you are feeding them just fine. The bag will tell you when to move to the next level of feed...like Grower, Layer, etc. IMO you can add CHICK GRIT now to your chick feed, just sprinkle a tablespoon or so everytime you feed. In a few weeks you can add it "free choice" when they are smart enough to not just fill up on grit instead of the nutritous stuff. Make sure it is chick grit and not the big stuff, they don't get regular grit until they are like 12 weeks or so. Good luck to you and your new chicks, you are doing great!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

P.S. The grit is only needed if you are feeding them anything besides the regular feed, like small fruit and veggies.

Last edited:
They only need grit when they are eating things other than their starter. If your going to free range your babies, they will get plenty of grit from the earth.
If you were to feed them some scratch or something for a treat, you should add grit.

What I like to do is scoop a big shovel full of earth and gravel from the yard and put it in their little pen. They are 6 weeks old now and love to play in it!

oh and i forgot to add, the oyster shell is for calcium when they begin to lay eggs, which is about 6 moonths old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom