Im confused? Or is turkey confused?

It is really hard to determine sex from those photos. The snoods are strange for either a hen or a tom. It is possible that you have two hens, two toms or one of each.

The heavy legs and the strange snood makes this one look like a tom but the heavy feather growth leading up to the top of the head makes it look like a hen.
eefb9f55-1bc5-4040-a62a-f165e09e3001-jpeg.1219240

This one looks like a hen.
af19757a-2c6c-48f2-96da-bff0552caad2-jpeg.1219441

While not common, some toms have been known to sit on eggs. If your turkeys start laying eggs, they are hens, if not, well....

I do have a Sweetgrass hen that did not lay any eggs her first laying season. I have no doubt that she is a hen but there may be something wrong with her internally. I will give her one more laying season to see if she lays eggs this coming year.

This image does look like you have one hen and one tom even though that is a really short snood for a tom and at his age you should be able to at least feel the start of his beard.
91d39ff3-c9c2-429e-8e31-a0b80af3dbfe-jpeg.1219455

I do have hens that have snoods as long as the snood on the displaying turkey in this picture.

Good luck.

i think i can see / feel a small
Beard on what i believe is the tom but not on what i feel is the hen.

Is a beard the deciding factor?

i think i can see / feel a small
Beard on what i believe is the tom but not on what i feel is the hen.

Is a beard the deciding factor?
Lack of a beard would mean a hen. Type of beard would determine difference between a hen and tom. Hens can have beards but their beards are not as heavy as what a tom grows.

Ok so both can have beards... lack is def hen. If both have beards at what age can i tell the difference of hen or tom?

25B6F516-970D-4F79-920B-021E19B4F66B.jpeg
RIP. My mr gobbles just keeled over and died. Yesterday he looked a tad off- poop good- eyes clear- no sign of respiratory issues- just not as hungry.

Checked on him this morn 6:30 he ate well. Was just in coop and he pooped and it’s cocci! Changed all the wAters and re filled with high dosage of acv and gave him meds. Within 3 mins he died!
Wham!!!

I dont know how other turkey moms do it. I was warned theg are hard to raise - but this is heart wrenching- that was the sweetest tom!!! I just got lurkey - the one im not sure is m/f- over an bacterial crop infection! That came on so fast! Now this!!

View attachment 1219601 RIP. My mr gobbles just keeled over and died. Yesterday he looked a tad off- poop good- eyes clear- no sign of respiratory issues- just not as hungry.

Checked on him this morn 6:30 he ate well. Was just in coop and he pooped and it’s cocci! Changed all the wAters and re filled with high dosage of acv and gave him meds. Within 3 mins he died!
Wham!!!
Do not mix ACV and meds in the water.

Ok so both can have beards... lack is def hen. If both have beards at what age can i tell the difference of hen or tom?
Usually the toms will have their beards show at an earlier age than hens will. The base of a tom's beard will be like a 1" diameter heavy course brush. A hen's beard rarely gets bigger than 1/2" diameter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom