I'm devastated.... (poop pictures btw..)

nutmeg2356

Chirping
Feb 28, 2017
I honestly still can't believe this happened, as I'm typing this. Saturday morning, my world was shattered. My 2 dogs started going NUTS around maybe 5 am (didn't look at the clock), they do this really frequently if they hear even a car door shut, so I blew it off and went back to sleep. Mya (my 7yo min pin) was still growling a little bit later so I let her out of my room, and let her outside when she went to the door.

Once she was outside, she went BESERK barking, and while she usually does this after she hears someones car shut, this was different. She was literally freaking out. I noticed this was strange but still didn't think much of it, and walked to the coop to let the girls out, figuring since I was now up and wouldn't be able to fall back asleep, the girls would probably enjoy some extra free ranging time.

Thats when I saw it... The door to their nest box was open, which worried me, nut it wasn't until I looked at the yard that my heart stopped. The entire yard was covered in chunks of feathers... I ran into the coop, and luckily 5 of my babies made it to the enclosed run and survived. Whatever did this managed to take 3, including my gorgeous white EE that I posted about a few weeks ago...

This animal not only ransacked my coop, but completely ripped open my neighbors coop and took all 4 of their chickens. Now, their coop was very small and not very sturdy (they bought it online, so think cheap construction), but mine I obviously made, and I reinforced the (excuse my language) hell out of it. I honestly have absolutely NO idea how something got into mine... It ripped the screws out of the wood for the lock on the nest box.....

Inside the coop, there was clearly a struggle. There was blood on the perch, but I think this was due to the fact that there were chucks of feathers from 2 of the survivors in the coop, so I'm thinking they bled from this, and thats what the blood is from. There were also chucks of feathers from one of the wyandottes that got taken.

The weirdest part of this was the smell. I can almost swear that it smelled like urine in the coop when I cleaned it Sunday, just like a hamster cage or something. I also found very un-chicken like poop, although I could be wrong. This poop just looked different, and much more "carnivore" like. It was more... dog poop consistency vs chicken poop. Sorry for all the poop info.. I just would really like some insight as to what did this. I also looked for a solid hour for any other signs of their feathers &/or bodies without any luck. Besides the feathers, they went completely MIA. :hit

I am completely heartbroken, and was in the yard wailing for a solid hour when I discovered this. This monster took 3 of my favorite girls... One of them was very skittish, and I can't imagine her fear level going through this.... ugh.

Any insight as to what may have done this would be greatly appreciated. I live in northern Illinois, an hour or so outside Chicago, in a medium sized neighborhood.

blood.JPG
killer.JPG
killer poop.JPG
ripped.JPG
so sad.JPG
suspicious.JPG
ugh.JPG

That's sad. Raccoon is my guess. Or more than one. Sorry for your losses. Get a trail cam, then you'll know, because it will most likely be back. Good luck.

7 chickens completely gone from a raccoon though? The neighbor only found one wing, I found her chickens feathers in my yard as well as my own's feathers, but no body parts. I thought raccoons leave parts behind? (or so I was told)

7 chickens completely gone from a raccoon though? The neighbor only found one wing, I found her chickens feathers in my yard as well as my own's feathers, but no body parts. I thought raccoons leave parts behind? (or so I was told)
This is Sad! I feel sure it was not a raccoon unless there was other predators. A dog don't usually eat them, a Fox----several Maybe. Do you have bears?? Tearing doors off and tearing up coops??

How horrible! I'm so sorry.....I know you're heartbroken. My coop is as predator proof as I could make it but I still worry every night about something like this happening.

No we definitely don't have bears. I've seen TONS of foxes, coons, etc, but I know we definitely don't have bear in this part. It's extremely populated where I live, it would be spotted and relocated very quickly (or killed... not sure what they do with animals like that..?)

This is Sad! I feel sure it was not a raccoon unless there was other predators. A dog don't usually eat them, a Fox----several Maybe. Do you have bears?? Tearing doors off and tearing up coops??
Thats why I was so confused... The neighbors coops floor was completely ripped out :( The only thing I could think of to explain it was a coyote, but "according" to my neighbor, they can't grab and destroy stuff like that... I don't see how they couldn't... I just don't get how a raccoon could do this type of damage

Thats why I was so confused... The neighbors coops floor was completely ripped out :( The only thing I could think of to explain it was a coyote, but "according" to my neighbor, they can't grab and destroy stuff like that... I don't see how they couldn't... I just don't get how a raccoon could do this type of damage
1 Raccoon didn't, and probably not responsible for any of that.

It is baby season for predators too.

Personally I think raccoon.
Here in suburbia I have seen a trio that were as big as my dog (Staffordshire terrier). Then last summer there were 5 in my neighbors front yard fussing loud enough I was drawn from sleep thinking a dog got hit on the road. I went out ready to end its suffering only to head right back in.

Raccoons are big! They are strong. If one took the chickens it may be feeding young.
That poo looked like coon poo to me.

I agree a trail cam is needed.

A raccoon will not do this damage and Carry 7 chickens off completely. Its possible more than one predators just happened to showed up on the same night.

Back
Top Bottom