I'm eyeballing my refrigerated eggs!

little_grey_bantam

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Russell County
Has anyone hatched refrigerated eggs before? I keep reading on here and I get all excited lol My little bantam had laid and egg, but I forgot and stuck it in the fridge... and then ate it and then freaked out! lol How old before these refrigerated eggs won't hatch, err, expire from being hatched?

Also, how long can you hold an unrefrigerated egg? I've been hoarding eggs (you all know you do it!) all week and have some eggs that are reaching 2 weeks (waiting for the incubator to hurry and set at the right temperature! I wish I had a chicken's butt; I'd hatch eggs myself!).

I've read that people have hatched the Refrigerated Trader Joes Fertile eggs, I think they said the ones processed 3 days before incubation hatched but the one processed 12 days before didn't so I would try them if they havn't been refrigerated too long, maybe not over a week?

I know it -- once I read that, I had to raid the fridge.
big_smile.png

Best of luck to you! I think my biggest problem is that I'd already washed (wiped with a damp cloth) the eggs I'd most wanted to try and incubate.

But it's really tempting to go see what's in the coop this evening and add them to my ready-to-go carton!

Quote:
LOL, last year I had 13 dozen eggs sitting on the kitchen counter and whenever my boyfriend walked by, he'd eyeball them and I'd be like *jumps out like ninja* "DON'T YOU THINK ABOUT EGGROLLS! LOL"

Last month I had about 6-10 dozen eggs and now I have 3 in the fridge at one house, 1 1/2 dozen in farm fridge and about 4 "incubator" dozens LOL
jumpy.gif

Up in chilly Maine I've had eggs I've saved in my pantry for a few days, which has got down to 45 degrees, and eggs from the barn in March, which have gone to almost freezing at night, and they hatched healthy chicks. If your expectations are not to high-go for it. Just bring the eggs up to room temp first.

Quote:
I have hatched eggs out of my fridge. They were in there about a week before I decided to put them in the bator. All hatched just fine. Ive heard that it wouldnt work but I had no problem. I dont normally refrigerate eggs Im going to hatch, this was a one time thing and it worked.

I would say 2 weeks is max on the unrefrigerated eggs if your hatching them yourself. Now if your shipping thats another story.

I hatched 4 chicks out of eggs that had been washed and then refrigerated for 5 days at 37 degrees. It works sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom