I'm Freakin Out Man!

Providence Too

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Mantua, Ohio
Need your help fellow forum members! Recieved yesterday from hatchery 10 Polish, 10 Crested and 10 Americanas. Last night 2 started flipping their heads back and either were sprawled out or on their backs twitching. This morning 10 more followed and before I left for work I was loosing 3 more. I have had chickens for 5 years now, even hatched my own and never have had this happen. Very few of the remaining are even active. I checked and rechecked temp. HELP ME PLEASE!

Stacie

It sounds like wry neck... In my less than expert opinion. It might be because of the stress of shipping i know its scary to watch but take a deep breath and relax. I would do a search on the forum. Remember relax.

Good Luck
Maddie

WOW, I have no idea
hu.gif

I am giving you a bump. I know someone out there can help, just have to get the timing right.
fl.gif

BUMP, SERIOUSLY ... BUMP

Quote:
Thanks Maddie! I am calling the hatchery this morning as well. My children are just crushed right now. They look like they are having seizures.
he.gif

Definitely contact the hatchery and you didn't tell us which you got them from.
Could it be a feed problem? Vitamin defitiency? But if their if they are dying it's serious.

Hope you kept them away from you other birds. You may like to get the free information from the USDA about "biosecurity". It's very informative.

Last edited:
Quote:
I recieved them from Welp, had an order of 50 last month with no issue. I have four seperate facilities for my birds until the free range in the big kid coop. They are in my house in a stock tank brooder. Mash is the feed, vitamins in water. This is so disturbing.

I'll tell you what is disturbing is that there are "air" born illness and they could have picked up something along the way. I used to work for the PO and they don't just ship chicks. They also ship pigeons and other birds. You can never know what they were next to on the journey.

Fortunately I've never had a major outbreak of anything. However I never knew there were so many things that want to make me upset and can hurt my chickens. Even after we've done everything we can think of there are problems. You may just want to scrap the whole shipment. You don't need "carriers" in you flock.

Hope things get better.

Rancher

Just got off the phone with the hatchery, They are replacing the entire order. They are not even sure what to tell me. Rancher you may be on to something there!

Back
Top Bottom