Wondering what happened

Scruffy2k23

Chirping
Aug 2, 2023
About a month age, we got 2 ten day old silver laced frizzled polish chicks. Seemed active and normal until about 2 weeks ago when we noticed they lost their energy and just stood with their heads down a lot. Every time we would pick them up, they would fall right to sleep in our hands. Over the last 2 weeks they got more and more lethargic. Gave them electrolytes mixed in their water and they ate the same starter feed as the rest of our chicks. Thursday evening, one was laying and didn’t want to get up and by Friday morning it was dead. We separated the second from the rest of the chicks so we could observe it. I know it was eating and drinking and poop looked normal as far as I could tell. This morning the chick was moving around some, standing, eating, and drinking. Just a few hours I noticed it had laid down and I couldn’t get it to get back up. It seemed to be breathing fast and within 10 mins, it stretched out, fluttered a little then died. Just wondered if I could/should have done anything different. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Went to the coop this morning and our 6 month old tolbunt polish hen is acting the exact same way. She was never exposed to the sick chicks as they were still in a brooder. I have started her on a corid mixture and hope it helps. I went ahead and started all of my other chicks and chickens on corid as well. Hoping for the best 🤞

Not eating at all and only drinking when we pretty much force her to. She seems very weak. Can’t/won’t stand up and barely holds her head up. I was actually surprised she made it through the night. I did notice dark green poop this morning. No sign of worms or anything in her poop so I figure it’s just where she isn’t eating. Very sad to watch 🙁 Still hoping for some improvement. I know it can take some time. Also was wondering, since shes not drinking very well, should I give a small dose of the corid undiluted?

You can give an undiluted boost of Corid 0.5 ml orally once a day for 3 days. Do not give any b vitamins while on Corid. If you should lose her, and I hope not, I would suggest getting a necropsy by the state vet lab. What state are youin?

You can give an undiluted boost of Corid 0.5 ml orally once a day for 3 days. Do not give any b vitamins while on Corid. If you should lose her, and I hope not, I would suggest getting a necropsy by the state vet lab. What state are youin?
Virginia

Are you scooping the brooder really often??? You need to do that because of the dust of them getting there feathers piles up inside the brooder. And when they run around they kick up that dust and breath it in. They can get it in there lungs and well they can become really ill.
So Sorry for you losses. :hugs

Are you scooping the brooder really often??? You need to do that because of the dust of them getting there feathers piles up inside the brooder. And when they run around they kick up that dust and breath it in. They can get it in there lungs and well they can become really ill.
So Sorry for you losses. :hugs
Usually empty the brooders at least every other day

Back
Top Bottom