I'm getting negative feedback about getting chickens!

Don't listen to the naysayers. I grew up keeping them, so when I decided to get back into it last year, no one dared tell me any of those things because they knew I had more experience with chooks than they did! Any animal can smell if not adequately cared for. There is an aspect of getting used to the smell. In other words, if you have a dog, you probably aren't nearly as aware of the "doggy" smell in your home as a visitor who is not used to being around dogs. Have a cat? Try not cleaning out the litter box for a few days and you'll decide cats stink too! I've kept a lot of different animals over the years - including rats and other rodents - and they ALL stink if you don't keep the cage cleaned out regularly. Chickens are no different. I try to get the poop out of my coop about every 3 days, and I honestly do not think they smell at all. But if you're someone who doesn't want to do it that often....well, be prepared for some odor.

What the people saying the negative things to you don't know is how entertaining they can be. My DH good-naturedly went along with my plans to get the chooks and teased me for being so excited about my chicks. But it wasn't long before HE was pulling up the lawn chair in the backyard to sit and watch them in the evenings. And HE is the one who peers out the kitchen window to watch them throughout the winter. And HE was the one on the phone to his ex, telling her how much personality they have and how quiet they are....yada yada.

I don't find them to be a lot of work. I open the coop in the morning (and give them a warm mash on the cold days but that is my choice). They peck around the yard all day long and wander over to the nest box when it is "that time of the day". At night they put themselves to bed and after the last one has gone into the coop, I go out and shut the door. The dogs on the other hand are quite a bit more work. They have to be fed and walked and brushed. They're always in the way. I have to trim their toenails and put them in crates every time we leave the house. We recently went away for four days. I agonized over where to leave the dogs while we were gone - and spent a small fortune in boarding fees. The chooks, on the other hand, took care of themselves. We left the coop door open just wide enough for them to get in and out, and left a full water bowl, and an automatic feeder full of food. Each morning we were gone, they let themselves out at daybreak. At dusk, they put themselves back to bed. They fed and watered themselves. And they laid an egg a day to boot. If you have any other pets, I can almost guarantee that the chickens will be the least work of them all!

I laughed at the bit about pecking you when you try to get the eggs. Whoever told you that obviously tried to take eggs from a broody! A non-broody hen loses interest in her egg pretty much immediately after its laid. They sit in the nest box for 30-60 minutes, lay the egg, sing the egg song for 30 seconds and they're done. Mine happily watch me and chatter to me while I collect the eggs but could care less what I do with them.

Wow what a way to ruin a possible new chicken hobbyist! I became new to the hobby last spring. On a whim hubs and I decided we wanted our own eggs. He did a bit of research and wanted hens that would be nice so we went with Wyandottes and Austrolorps plus they're winter hardy. We hadn't even built the coop when we bought the chicks. I kept them in the laundry room where it was warm and plenty of room. I kept the chicks in a dog crate with a brood light on top. I cleaned them twice a day by replacing newspaper and they were on a flat surface pan that I also cleaned if the poo got through the newspaper(chicks are messy!). Meanwhile hubs was using landscaping timbers and poultry wire making the makeshift coop. He also made a chicken tractor from the metal frame of a workspace shelving unit. They've been in the same makeshift coop since. All he did for the winter was add plastic to surround the wire coop so they would be draft free and also built a box to the outside for them to nest in. They roost on an old tiny cage that my brother-in-law built for his Peking ducks and added legs. They free-range in our yard when they can and we feed them scraps from the kitchen on top of their laying pellets. We only had 1 problem with a predator and he buried chicken wire 6 inches into the ground then piled firewood around the perimeter. During the summer we kept a raccoon trap at the ready near the coop to catch anything that came near. We caught nearly 2 dozen raccoons and oppossums and transported them to a nearby wildlife preserve.

We have 3 Austrolorps, 3 Gold-Laced Wyandottes, and 4 Amberlinks we picked up on a whim at Tractor Supply along with 2 Mallards(we lost the female to a predator). Our ugly coop(aka The Chicken Containment Facility) kept our ladies(and male duck) safe and secure with ZERO health issues. We had no frostbite or anything with our near zero degree weather here in Indiana with near record snowfalls this winter. They laid eggs all winter and I cornered the market being the only one in this area with a steady supply of fresh eggs.
big_smile.png

Btw they also get their grit from the yard and the gravel driveway and their shells are as hard as can be and the yolks are a deep orange.

Stick around the forums here and you'll learn a lot from everyone here. I sure did!
cool.png

People seem to like to be negative. I do not see the charm in that. Some people do it so they will seem all knowing and intelligent, and some do it because they get a rush out of bad feelings.
sad.png

All I know is I enjoy my chickens. Times are hard, pleasures have to be simple. We get our pleasure from the simple things in life. Eggs are simple and lovely and make great pound cakes, and cheese cakes, and this wonderful fertilizer that makes great vegetables...
The naysayers will always be with us.
DO WHAT YOU ENJOY. I have spent years spinning plates- listening to people who had only their own interest in mind. Now, I have chickens and I enjoy them.
smile.png
they are sweet, and nice pets. Mine are gentle and inquisitive. They don't tell me what to do either. They have never said, 'Get rid of that nosy neighbor. She's loud and smelly and eats way too much.'"

The saying,"Don't let the turkeys get you down" comes into mind... but I wouldn't mind having some turkeys either, so let's just substitute the term 'know it alls' for 'turkeys' and don't let them get you down!
wink.png

According to the "4 feet per chicken rule" (
hmm.png
) you could stick 12 chickens in there. If you want to make it easier on yourself and keep from overloading your facilities I would back off of that number a bit....less poop, cleaning, feeding, etc.,. The coop will stay in much better condition.

BUT REMEMBER!!!!....On every third new moon, when Saturn's moon Enceladus is in it's last quarter, and Jay Leno and Cona O'Brian have become bloodbrothers....your chickens feathers will turn into leathery scales, the chickens will break out of their coop and begin destroying the surrounding cities while looking for King Kong (or Al Gore) to do battle with!!! BEWARE!!!!!!
roll.png

Ed

Last edited:
I love having my chickens & I agree if you keep your flock small it is easy to handle... I don't have a problem with smell or rodents some mice but I set up traps.. And like any pet there will be diseases illnesses, etc but I have found on this site there are answers to all of your
questions that may arise... Their droppings also makes great compost... Oyster shell is not expensive I keep two lil dishes out one with shells & the other with grit they take some when they need it...
My husband asked me for a few years to get chickens, I kept saying no because I had some of the same thoughts has those people but now that I have them ... They are the best pets I have ever had...
Good Luck... Jen

Don't you just love people who don't know what they are talking about! I have a flock of about 30 chickens. With a well-built pen you don't have to worry about predators. We have no rat problems. Of course, the owls in the neighborhood may be the reason for that. We had coons and a fox last year but now have an enclosed pen, so have had no more losses.

My "children" don't stink. The coop gets raked once a week with more litter added if needed and a little DE and some Stall-Dry. The poop gets scooped regularly, about 10 minutes' work. We are gone most weekends doing bird fairs in the southeast (we manufacture and sell bird toys). If we are gone for more than 3 days we have someone come and feed/water. Otherwise we have large feeders and waterers and have never had a problem.

I have two girls who peck at me when I collect their eggs, so I just wait until they are off the box. Everybody else is friendly and crowd around for their turn at petting and treats. I have not yet had a problem with egg binding or bumblefoot.

Yes, it is sad when we occasionally lose a chicken, but the joy they bring well outweighs the sorrow. Just like any pet (except for my macaws), I know I will probably outlive them and will be sad when they are gone, but in the meantime they (and I) have good and happy lives.

Just don't start big. Start with a small flock until you feel comfortable with it. I guarantee you will grow to love them as do we all!

Hmm..

I can't say much of that is true..

We don't have rats...

Mine don't smell...

Mine don't peck me when I collect eggs, actually.. usually none of them are in the nextboxes when I collect eggs lol

idunno.gif

Yeah I forgot about the free compost. Hubs has been adding in to the garden and when it's time to till it will be incorporated. We'll have the biggest crop of vegetables we've ever had before!
big_smile.png

Ed I laughed so hard I choked on my coffee.
tongue.png

I've also never been pecked when collecting eggs. We have 1 broody Austrolorp and she still lets us take the eggs. She just gets up and starts babbling and walks away.

You need to ignore these folks that are being so negative.
We live in the country and did a lot of research before getting chickens last spring. My dh and nephew built a nice coop and run, and we have had no predators except the occasional fly by from hawks checking them out from above. We keep things clean and have 15 chickens. They let us take the eggs without a battle, and both of my kids are willing to be in the coop and run. I have had folks stop by and are surprised to learn we have chickens, they didn't know. They thought that building was a playhouse for DD. After they receive eggs they want to know if they can buy more... its all good!

The only thing in that list of negatives that rang true at all to me is the part about being tied down. Since we got our chicks last May, I have gotten so attached to the little darlings that I haven't wanted to go away anywhere. We have six indoor birds, too, so when we do go away on vacation someday, we definitely will need to hire a bird sitter.

I'm coming up to our first anniversary of chicken keeping this May, and the only thing I regret is that we didn't get chickens sooner! They are our favorite birds.

Back
Top Bottom