I'm getting negative feedback about getting chickens!

Did you ask the naysayers how much experience they have had with owning chickens? How many coops they have kept in their yards? How many years they have raised birds?
Yes, chickens can be a bit of trouble just like any other responsibility. Dogs, cats, gardens, houseplants, children, all these things are responsibilities that can be a lot of trouble;however, we choose to have them anyway because of the joy they add to our lives. The difference in the flavor of a yard egg vs a stor bought egg, the peace that comes from knowing my eggs are coming from a humane source rather than an abusive industry that mistreats animals, and the sheer pleasure of seeing my chickens pecking around happily makes them well worth the trouble. Find a neighbor who will take care of them while you are out of town. Get a secure pen with good, strong wire. Start a compost bin to dump the refuse in when you clean the coop. You will never regret getting your chicks. They have never been anything other than a sheer joy to me.

tell the naysayers when you want their opinion you'll beat it out of them.
years ago i had a problem with rats they would tunnel under the coop, So this time we just raised it up and put it on cinder blocks its about 18 in off the ground ,its been there for almost 3 years and I have yet to see a rat.
Oh and another thing we did that we learned from this forum is to put a piece of linoleum on the floor it only cost us $30 and it makes it so easy to just sweep with a broom once a week , do that and use pine shavings (NO CEDAR) and you won't have any smell.
Get ready cause you are going to have a blast picking out which breed you want your babies to be.
Have fun with your fuzzybutts and show them to all those negative people when you get them because they will be soooo jealous.

And
welcome-byc.gif

Please allow me.
This feb, was one full year of having chickens, this has been my experience w/o the details.

First year due to bad advice coon got in lost 3. Fixed the problem and no preds to date. Word is there are coyote, but have seen none.

Bought 25 chicks to start , to date culled one and sold two. Chickens can get sick and die for no reason. BUT many of the problems can be avoided, I have managed to do that by following the basic rules.

I am disabled and am managing to keep the smell in check. Chicken poop makes great compost. I don't care for the deep litter system but that's me. Develope a regular cleaning system and you'll be ok. Clean every (whatever your time frame) wk, mo. I wouldn't go more than a month.

Have not seen rats but have cats for mice and use traps. I lived in the city and saw more coons and skunks than I have here. Use deterents. For me it's human urine. I'm not ashamed, I fill a spray bottle and I spray it on all the trees and stumps close to the coop, and so far so good. But there are others deterents.

As for being tied down? Yes you will unless you have someone who will take care of your chickens as good as you or at least keep them alive. Chickens do not need treats to live, just the basics. Feed and clean water. I hire someone. When I'm home I give treats.

For me 30 chickens, 100 #s of layer and 50 # of scratch and 2-3 bales of wood chips avg. total 40-50$ a month. I figure it costs .75-.80 cents a doz. for healtheir eggs. Oh and 50# bag of grit lasts longer. So I don't count that. I do save egg shells and crush them up and mix w/ the grit.

My adamant advice is to do your research first. Get every book you can from the Public library and read and learn as much as you can. Definitely subscribe to Back yard Poultry mag. or get Practical Poultry at the TSC if you can afford it.

As for sickness. Free range chickens will have more problems than those not IMHO. Many of the problems but not all you see here could have been avoided. It's part of the chicken gig. If you can't cull find someone who can. That said if you provide a clean environment for you chickens you should have minimal problems. Clean food, clean coop, and clean water. ( no open water containers) I change an average of three times a day. Morning when I open up, lunch time, and night when I close up. To date lost 3 to coon, 1 culled and 1 chick I hatched within a week of birth.

All of this depends on how many chickens you have. I've been able to control myself and stick to 30 give or take.

Your in Rome, NY , I'm in E. Syracuse. Know a few people around here too. So you gotta friend in me.
smile.png
Use the power of the PM.

You're going to LOVE it!!! It's just like anything else in life when you get others opinions it can become overwhleming! Just ignore them and don't talk to them about any of it unless of course it's positve! We got our first day old baby chicks last June and although I was VERY excited!!! I also had my doubts! But I can HONESTLY say that it has been the BEST decision for our family!!! I just can't tell you the hours or enjoyment we have gotten from these funny little critters!!!
big_smile.png
My Hubby & Dad built us our first chicken tractor for like $50. My Hubby was a doubter and NOT excited about this endevour until this past Dec when "the girls" started laying...we have not bought any eggs from the store ever since and now he is sooo excited about them! I even bought a real chicken barn from craigslist which has been awesome!($300)!!! We have gone away a few times for a week vaca and just gave them extra food and water and they were completely fine! Much like cats that way! As far as mice go...haven't seen any signs of them but I did have an issue with squirrels getting into the barn but quickly fixed that problem by putting their food in a hanging bird feeder(you know the squirrel proof ones with the swivel tops) As far as smell goes...that has NOT even been an issue at all...in the barn they roost in two areas and I just put laminate stick tiles(VERY cheap box from Lowes..no biggy) in those areas and every couple of days I go out and scrape the poo off. The rest of the barn has either fresh hay or straw and they REALLY only poo where they roost at night. The rest of the time they free range around the property so all of the poo is no where to be found mostly scattered who know's where(but I am expecting my grass to be a little greener this year:D!!!) They do LOVE to brood and scratch around in my mulch and flower beds but this is to be expected so I just sweep the mulch back in once in a while. They do poo on the sidewalk sometimes and in the driveway but again that it to be expected b/c we let them free range. It hardens up fast and it's easy to kick off the sidewalk and into the grass. We just LOVE watching them outside...it's a very peaceful relaxing thing that kind of reminds you of going back in time when things moved at a much slower pace:).
smile.png
smile.png
:)We have buff orpington's and cochins so there is truly nothing quite as heartwarming as watching them come running across the yard just to greet you!!! They do this everytime one of us walks out the door! In most countries(and this country too not very long ago) it was and still is the norm for almost every family to have a small backyard flock of chickens...they are really the most easy simple forgiving pet to have! As far as winter goes...we live in NJ and got pummeled with 70plus inches of snow this winter(first time in my life!) and they chickens(we got winter hardy breeds) were all absolutely fine! They did have many days when they were snowed in and refused to come out in it but they made out just fine! We just made sure that they had plenty of hay to snuggle up in and food & water. My Hubby & I are NOT farmer kinda people and don't even own a gun(which I know we prob. should) but the whole killing chicken thing is just NOT going to happen around here. I guess if we needed to downsize and get rid of a few at some point we would just do craigslist and find homes for them. Most hens slow down on their egg production as they get older but still do lay so I plan on keeping them around and just letting them live out their lives. I will add a few new chicks to the flock every spring so I will always have young girls laying through the winter. They only ones that I would be getting rid of on CL would be extra roos. My girls eat a mix of scratch grains, sunflower seeds, and pellets. I do add a scoop of oyster shell(yep $5 a bag no biggy) once a week for extra...they also get all of the table scraps! The best thing to do is to just go for it and enjoy it and take it as it comes! It's a learning experience and all trial and error. But REALLY they are VERY VERY simple self sufficient little creatures and don't require that much to exist. I know you'll LOVE it! Blessings, Keri
Here's some pic to encourage ya!
43069_valentines_2010_022.jpg

43069_aug2009_summer_028.jpg

43069_010.jpg

43069_009.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like folks that had chickens in the 50's and 60's have negative stories to tell. My mom and ex-mother in law talked about how mean their chickens were, and being attacked when collecting eggs or feeding. I've NEVER had those issues! When asked about what breed these demon chickens were, they said they didn't know... they were white. Maybe folks didn't have a big choice in breeds back in the day. I'm guessing the demon chickens may have been leghorns. IDK. Plus, Seems like theres a trend to actually bond with your chickens, something they didn't do back then either. I had never had chickens, and I now have over 30. I couldn't see my family now without them. If they are well socialized, and cared for, you won't have demon chickens, and if you take care of the coop, you won't have a odor problem either. I live in the country, and the only preators I have problems with is hawks. And a BB gun works great in scaring them off. Reasearch your breeds, find one that suits you Exa. personality, lay rate... Good Luck!

True, chickens draw rats and mice. Humans also draw rats and mice.

There are predators. Some have two legs and walk upright!
lau.gif

The hens have a right to peck you. You are stealing THEIR egg. Not as bad if you raise them from chicks. Then its more like, hey, Mom, look what I did!
yippiechickie.gif

As for being able to travel. Buy an automatic dog waterer and build/buy a 50# feeder. Bet a neighbor would care for your hens while you are on vacation. Lots of FREE eggs to eat!
pop.gif

Don't allow them to upset or sway you. My father-in-law is opposed to roosters. Nobody needs them. He loves his laying hens. But hates the roosters. He prefers his hens have feathers on their backs. Also, I hear my mother-in-law has over come anaddiction to hatching!
gig.gif

He also got rid of her incubator!

Last year he had her order some pullets, RIR. Somehow with the 25 pullets a RIR rooster, New Hampshire Red rooster nd a EE rooster got in the box. Just can't trust those postal emplyees!
idunno.gif

I took one look at the brooder and KNEW what she had done. When i asked, she said shhh!!!
hide.gif
Don't tell anyone!
hu.gif

Best of luck with your birds.

Like the BB gun idea!!
big_smile.png
My Hubby does have a paintball gun..that could be fun to scare off the hawks! That's our major predator too...we did loose two so far to hawks but my cuckapoo has been doing a great job at ridding the side yard of hawks & squirrels lately! Amazing what a few little barks will do!!
wink.png
I agree with what you said...my sister had chickens and they were aweful mean and nasty..she was terrified of them...again not sure what breed they had. I do alot of reseach before choosing a breed and we have had great experiences!!! By this summer we will have cochins(all kinds...banty, standard, frizz, & smooth...orpingtons(LOVE THEM!), cuckoo marans, speckled sussex, and silkies!!! We purposely have all girls free ranging with just one giant cochin roo(who is a sweet passive guy...wouldn't hurt a fly!) My boys(11yrs, 5yrs,2yrs,& 1yr.) and all of their little friends LOVE going out to the barn and collecting eggs!!! No worries at all!

I think everyone on here gave you very good advice. I have heard alot of negative things about chickens too but that didn't stop me. Sure you will probably come across a few issues from time to time but thats what we are here for
big_smile.png
. The addiction is hard to control once you have been bitten by the "chicken bug" but if space is limited that helps keep the numbers down. IMO they are very theraputic. I look forward to coming home from work everyday and just sitting with them, watching them, talking to them and petting them are the highlight of my day everyday. I agree with the others when they say don't listen to the negatives and don't worry about the "what if's" cause chances are it won't happen. Just dive in and have fun
big_smile.png

I agree with the others. This has been one of the most fun "projects" that my husband and I have taken on in the 26 years we've been married. We started small last year with 10 chicks. We converted an existing shed into our coop and use two 10x10 chain link portable dog kennels as our run. Ours free range for half the day. We've only lost one and it was to a hawk when we first started letting them range. Since then, they know to run for cover if they spot a hawk. We had a few rats in our barn/garage last year, but we've had periodic problems with them before the chickens. We use the deep litter method and clean out the coop about once a week. Takes all of about 5-10 minutes to fork out the dirty shavings/droppings and lay down fresh ones. We do have one broody hen that will peck you when you try to lift her and check for eggs, but I've figured out a way to gently hold her with one hand at the base of the head to keep her from pecking me, while I lift her up and get the eggs with the other. I love to spoil them by making my special "chicken mush" and watch them eat it. Now, they come running if they see me come out of the house with anything in my hands (I love to watch chickens run - too funny). We've loved just about everything about keeping them and have enjoyed learning how to take good care of them. Hoping to add a few more of different breeds this spring.

Pros so far: we see far fewer bugs than pre-chicken days, they can be used to really clean up a garden area, fresh eggs for our own use and we sell extras, so they pay for themselves pretty much, they are fun to watch and can be quite comical, good fertilizer for the garden/flowers.

Cons: If free ranging, they sometimes get into my flower pots or eat things I don't want them to, we have one rooster who's a bit too amorous with his ladies and we're going to have to do something about it.

Fortunately, we have good neighbors who don't mind them (so far) and my parents live next door and we swap looking after each others' animals when we're away. We help to foster good will with the neighbors by providing them with free eggs.

Beth

Quote:
AS USUAL, Pat always knows!!!!
big_smile.png
hugs.gif
for Pat** But, this time, I disagree with her--
"They'll still be cheerfully expecting you to hand out eggs to them once your hens start laying...
wink.png
"
Tell them they'll get some eggs, but then make up excuses as to why you can't! Like..."I didn't know we ate so many eggs."...or..."They're kinda dirty--you wouldn't want that."

Seriously, you're gonna love have these birdies. And, if you don't they are SSSOOOO MMMUUUUUCCCCHHH EASIER to rehome/get rid of than a dog or a cat or a horse or a ferret. My next-door neighbor, who used to have 100 hens, would take mine in a HEARTBEAT, and send them on a trip to freezer camp!!

Back
Top Bottom