I'm Going For It Bob-Bird Time!

Anyone still raising bob-birds? Stomberg's is still selling them. Their breeders could be members.

Was an open question in this stream as to if the meat was white?

Was looking for what to expect from the Stomberg Bob-birds. Weight range would lead me to guess that the coturnix hens were either Jumbo Whites (A&M) or Jumbo Browns. Anyone know?

I wouldn't purchase from Strombergs anyhow...just find one of us here and order
wink.png

To late.. Hope the eggs will arrive in the next two weeks and the Brinsea will be busy soon.
old.gif

Thinking next batch will be Jumbo Browns. Want to use this season to find the coturnix type that I like best.

Plan to use a GQF breeder pen to keep the Brinsea busy. Then a clone-like colony pen for this first season.

Not sure the bob-birds are in scope for next year. These are larger birds - jumbo size - but so little is available about them.

My Coturnix are with my bobs, and there haven't been any bob birds yet!
lol.png

Strombergs A&M's are TINY!!! I still love mine, but they are English Whites. :'(

hey there backyardcovey,

welcome, like the blog idea, and the project concept and theory.

I would totally recommend getting your starter stock from someone on the forum here, they are easy to deal with, knowledgeable and always attentive.

here is a link to a breeders directory. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=460102

I
have worked with several here in starting up, I have plenty of questions and consider myself an expert at nothing except maybe woodwork?, but they work with me and tolerate me.

best of luck! TD

I agree now that I'm here. Joined Saturday.

There was a free online book called Microlivestock that I read that got me interested in quail.

Sad to hear about the size of birds that I have on the way.
sad.png

Quote:
hey, in the end, time will tell, no telling what you got until you brood them well, feed them good food for 8 weeks or so. and they should lay nice eggs. I have a small manchurian (italian?) female that is half the size of the bigger whites and she lays a decent size egg compared to them.

again, the best of luck, and welcome to the journey. and don't be afraid to lean on the shoulders of giants to see over the clouds for the first time or two.

Quote:
I'm gonna set me up a pen of Italian type birds one of these days. Have to be my favorite color coturnix. I dont even really care if there jumbo of not. They are just birds that are pretty. Bill

Back
Top Bottom