I'm gonna recommend a GUN

Another idea: A 22 revolver, like the Ruger Blackhawk single six. I carry it around strapped on my hip, which leaves my hands free for general farm work. That way when working around the barn, the woodpile, corrals, or out in the field, and I jump a fowl-killing predator, I have the means handy to dispatch it then and there.

I have a Henry .17 lever action with a Nikon scope that works well within 100 yds for most small game but I have one thing that scares me if it were put in the hands of a beginner: once you lever a shell into the chamber it is cocked and ready to fire. Since mine holds 11 shells in the magazine this means that once I shoot and eject the spent cartridge, there is a live round in the chamber and the only way to put it on "safe" is to lower the hammer. I'd rather someone that isn't all that used to firearms have a weapon they can easily slip the safety on between shots. If someone is in the process of shooting at some critter the chance of their miscounting the number of shots taken is fairly good this could mean an accident waiting to happen. While most bolt actions with a clip are slower to shoot most have a firing pin block safety and, once you remove the clip, you can eject the only unused shell from the chamber. Also a gun that uses a clip is easier to put into action, just grab a full clip and load--it takes time to load the magazine of the Henry and I sure wouldn't recommend leaving shells in there between use.

BTW, this isn't to put the Henry down-- I love my gun but I am also extra careful with it.

I like the idea of a .22 revolver a lot. Unfortunately when you're talking about a revolver worth having, which means a major American maker like Ruger or S&W, you're talking about $500 and up. But to have something I can carry with me and get critters as they pop up, well, a .22 revolver's next on my list if I get the money together. Revolvers and .22 "snake shot" cartridges are made for each other too - those shot cartridges don't work well with a long, rifled, barrel and they often don't extract well which can be hard on the extractor on a semi-auto.

The Henry company supposedly has really good customer service, that's another plus.

I have a Ruger "ranch rifle" in .223 around here.

That's a good point about all those cartridges in that tube magazine in a lever-action. But at least the hammer's external, and any gun with the action closed should be treated as loaded anyway. The Marlin has a safety where even if the hammer falls, if the trigger's not being pressed too, it won't fire. I'm not sure about the Henry, frankly myself I don't use or rely on safeties. Loaded but "on safe" for me with the Henry I guess would be with a round in the chamber but the hammer down. Then if I need to fire in a hurry I just pull the hammer back. But the Henry may have a safety that works like the Marlin, and it may be actually better to use that. Generally if I have rounds in the magazine, I have the chamber empty and when I have to shoot it means I work the action to chamber a round. OK unless you're trying to not spook a game animal or varmint.

Mods - thanks for moving my thread, I guess it does belong here more than in the general ramblings.

Quote:
this one of the safest for a newb to start with. I never use a gun to dispatch with when I sell pelts there are not any holes in the pelt except for what the critter was born with. google euthanasia there are many ways to dispatch varmints with

To put the Henry on "safe" once there is a round in the chamber one has to lightly squeeze the trigger while lowering the hammer with their thumb--while it is fairly easy to do if one were to put too much pressure on the trigger, become distracted or have the hammer slip the gun will go off. There is no other "safe". While I haven't had mine go off accidentally I used to own a 30-30 Winchester lever action that fire on two different occasions when I had the hammer slip. Was enough to scare me when I was using it. The problem was I used it for deer hunting and it would not have been practical to chamber a round just before shooting--the sound of chambering would have sent the target into the next county.

I have a henry golden boy .22 and its a great gun but for daytime coytes, it's a ruger M77, 22-250. I can get every one within 200 yards in a dead run for the woods. At night it's a benelli M2 12ga with #2 shot in 3" mags! I don't like to shoot rifles at night because the bullet travels too far.

I also like the Henry but I also bought a single shot 22/20ga for $89.00. I put the birdshot shells in the 22 single shot and get rats in the barn. I have 5 acres in Medina, Ohio and keep chickens and goats in the barn. Never had rats till last year but they are under control with the dogs,cats, shooting and trapping.

50 cal Hawkins. If you miss, they still get singed, and a .22 S&W #422 semi auto for back up. It's what I got, never had to use them for anything other then killing cans. Darned cans anyway.

Back
Top Bottom