I'm gonna recommend a GUN

GarlicEater

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Gilroy, CA
Many of us here have been learning and using the acronym SSS. Many of us are rural, and while we didn't have chickens or pets smaller than a pony, predators etc were not a problem. Then we got chickens. Then we started learning that a gun is a handy tool to have around.

First let me say that I'm a STAUNCH advocate of two things: (1) Using a Hav-A-Hart type trap to trap, if at all possible, so that you can dispatch your critter where there is a FOR-SURE safe backstop, and (2) Getting proper training in shooting, legalities, safety, hunter education, etc. When in doubt, take another class! Honestly!

OK now, I have found a line of guns, and bought one myself today, that I think are just right for our type of real-world shooting, and our types of people, IE, not necessarily gun-nuts, not necessarily he-men or men at all, etc. They are the Henry lever-action rifles. I looked at 'em all, worked actions, looked at prices and alternates, and the one I bought is the Youth model. Er, I'm not a Youth. But I'm Youth sized, and have done a long enough list of hairy he-man stuff in my life, a lot of it much more than once because it was good dangerous fun, that I don't care if a gun comes with a pink stock and is the Barbie model, if it fits and works for me, I use it. So, for me, because I'm 5'4" on a tall day and know a bit about gun fit, it's the Youth model for me. There's also the standard model, the "yellow boy" which has a pretty gold colored body (which the call the receiver on a gun) and a carbine that has a big loop lever on it. They all have these things to recommend them:

They have SMOOTH actions and are really easy to cock.
They are not high-priced. We're talking $300 tops.
There's not "more stuff" to buy, no getting $100 worth of spare magazines, no "gadgetitus" like with the Ruger 10/22
They are FRIENDLY. They do not LOOK intimidating, they are not intimidating to operate.
They are used in "cowboy action shooting" which is a friendly bunch of folks, if you want to do more than dispatch possums.
It is a very easy to understand mechanism, hammer's back, it can fire. Hammer's down, it can't. Good enough for the Old West and good enough for you.
Because there's a Youth model, small guys, gals, Youths, can get one that fits them.
Because there's the Carbine model with the big lever loop, there's your winter gun for shooting with gloves.
Because there's the standard model, you average size guys are going to be fine.
Because you can always stack a few extra spacers on the butt, you big/tall guys are taken care of.

So if you are thinking about getting a "farm gun", this is a line to consider.

(And in closing, I am in fact one of those "gun nuts" and have done it all from plinking to rather serious competition, I'll happily answer any and all gun questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you out.)

The Marlin levers are nice too, they're the only things I'll use for a brush gun or farm gun. Almost the same as the henry's.

Thanks for the great info!! We will have to check into the Henrys. I have looked at them online a few times, but didn't know anyone who owned one. I currently use a small .22 rifle and a .410 single shot for varmit control.

Wish i could get a WIN model 94 30-30, but they are so $$$$$$$
th.gif

Last edited:
I had my eyes on a Marlin 39A, but at $500+ that's all I was going to get on it, my eyes. And I think they stopped making them, the shop can't order one.

The Henrys are made to be good functional guns, not collector's items.

Other suggestions a prospective gun buyer may hear a lot of:

"Get a 10/22" - Well, they're great but the market for aftermarket junk to hang on one is HUGE and it's like a Harley, the temptation to spend tons of dough on add-ons is very hard to resist. With a Henry you don't even need to buy magazines.

"Get a bolt action" - I've shot a ton one bolt-action guns but while it's tops for top-end accuracy, it's basically an awkward (especially if you're a leftie!) action invented by a bunch of sour-puss Germans way back in the day as a war implement. It is not all *that* wife, GF, newbie, etc friendly.

"Get a single-shot" - That's not a bad idea, and you can get old used ones CHEAP. But it will always be something you start on and then move on. Like that tricycle in the garage. If you're utterly strapped for cash, have moral qualms against spending ONE PENNY more than you have to on a shootin' iron, go ahead and get one. It is indeed the cheapest container you can put a bullet in and shoot it out of. They come in flavors like bolt-action, there are actually OLD lever actions that are single shots, falling-block, etc. Some are NOT cheap, like the Thompson Contender.

A lever action rifle of any caliber is a gun worth having. Very simple,and easy to use... We had a Henry till my DH traded it off,..but we now have a Browning 22 lever action,..great gun. Also I have an old single shot 22,..inherited item. Love it too,...great varmint gun. I want a Henry Big Boy,...44 caliber,...they are sweet. One purchase at a time though,..
wink.png

I have collected henry rifles for years,i have 9 all together including the 94 30-30.They are all made in the USA,components and all.You will not find a foreign part in a henry rifle.I also collect weatherby rifles,i have the 224 weatherby magnum,243 weatherby,weatherby 300,and the 460 weatherby magnum
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom