Im gonna SHOOT me a heeler!

kooltex

Songster
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
NE Tx
Somebodys heeler came into my yard this morning and got two of my roos and a hen, I have an injured Duck as well. I heard a chicken squaking and opened the back door and a heeler was getting it. I yelled at it and it took off. ARRGH! My dog, my suppose to guard the chickens dog, was sittin in his bed in the garage the whole time! Well, I've got the birds put up, looks like I will be building them a fenced yard. I've never had a problem with dogs around here in 5 years. I wish people would keep there dogs up so I wouldn't have to fence in my property to keep them out. I'm gonna shoot it if it comes back! Can't stand other peoples dogs coming on my property killing MY livestock!
Sorry just had to rant.

I'm sorry ...
hugs.gif

Hmmm..I'd start going door to door now, and let them know you'll be presenting them with a vet bill for your duck, an invoice to replace the dead chickens, and a dead dog if it ever comes back!

(Sorry you are dealing with this!!)
hugs.gif
Good luck!

Your right, that's what I would do in your situation. Trying to get someone to pay for the replacement birds and vet costs is a great idea, but odds are not in your favor of seeing a penny. Where I live you are allowed to shoot any animal endangering your family or your livestock.

Quote:
Ya, I agree that it's not likely to see one shiny penny from it, but if they've never seen the dog before, there may be a chance that it was a fluke that the dog got out, and that the owners might be willing to make it right if they know about it. If my dog had a half a chance, she'd kill a chicken or two, I'd sure rather someone came to me demanding retribution before they outright shot her. Though they would have every right to if she was on their property killing their livestock.

Quote:
Ya, I agree that it's not likely to see one shiny penny from it, but if they've never seen the dog before, there may be a chance that it was a fluke that the dog got out, and that the owners might be willing to make it right if they know about it. If my dog had a half a chance, she'd kill a chicken or two, I'd sure rather someone came to me demanding retribution before they outright shot her. Though they would have every right to if she was on their property killing their livestock.

I wholeheartedly agree. Accidents happen and this may be a beloved dog who accidentally got out or someone visiting who didn't realize the problem. I have had my dog get out once, she didn't kill anything but could've gotten hurt herself by a car as we are in the burbs. It is of course horribly sad your chickens and duck paid the price and your feelings certainly understandable. I would recommend though that any predator can come and kill your flock if they are not properly fenced in. Seems your dog didn't see the other dog as a threat for some reason or perhaps your dog isn't well? You may wish to check on him/her.

Again my sympathy.

Quote:

I wholeheartedly agree. Accidents happen and this may be a beloved dog who accidentally got out or someone visiting who didn't realize the problem. I have had my dog get out once, she didn't kill anything but could've gotten hurt herself by a car as we are in the burbs. It is of course horribly sad your chickens and duck paid the price and your feelings certainly understandable. I would recommend though that any predator can come and kill your flock if they are not properly fenced in. Seems your dog didn't see the other dog as a threat for some reason or perhaps your dog isn't well? You may wish to check on him/her.

Again my sympathy.

I agree, you should at least see if you can get the owners to replace the birds and keep the dog penned up. I think it is really uncalled for to shoot the dog on the first offense. Also, you took a huge risk having no boundry fences or pens and that's your half of this problem. Not blaming you for the attack, but as chicken owners you have to understand that chickens that are not protected will get attacked by something sooner or later.

Fencing is a great idea but it doesn't always help. A dog will jump a 4 foot fence for a chicken any day. I have seen huskies run up a six foot fence like it was nothing. It may help some, but I am still inclined to agree with the shooting policy if the dog comes back again. You have to be careful if you decide to try and catch the dog to find the owner. A hungry dog with taste of chicken blood is not always friendly.

If it comes back I WILL shoot it. I have all of two neighbors and none of them own a heeler. We live way out in the country, that dog came from a ways away or someone dumped it. Which happens alot around here.

Back
Top Bottom