I'm having a hard time getting rid of roosters!

Depending on the rooster’s personalities and how much room you have a bachelor flock could be an option. It’s hard to rehome excess roosters. You may have to bite the bullet and have them culled. Or reach out to local farmers to take them, but realize that in most instances there’s a high probability that they may end up in a freezer. Also as a smaller more ornamental breed, I don’t know that most farms would be wanting to take them either.

I have never heard of a shelter in my state that will take in a chicken, we have sanctuaries and rescues for that. Thank you for saying that there are shelters that take them.

The OP lives in Canada so I'm unsure what it's like there with shelters and such.

I do agree it's putting the responsibility of the rooster onto someone else, but they may not have any other choice. Most likely a shelter will euthanize them because they can't get it adopted out.

I think that owning chickens is amazing, but people do not realize when they grab a straight run or even get sexed pullets. There will be a rooster, it doesn't matter how good the vent sexer is at the hatchery, humans make mistakes.

I was supposed to get two black jersey giant pullets... I ended up with 2 roosters and these were sexed by a reputable hatchery that our local farm buys from. I kept both, but I have the capability to do so.

I see both sides of the fence so it's hard to say what is right and what is wrong. I believe only the owner knows what's right for their flock and their chickens.

I disagree that there may not be a choice. If you aren't prepared to deal with roosters, don't hatch or buy chicks. Hatching is a choice, not a necessity. There are plenty of options out there to purchase known pullets in order to avoid cockerels, either by purchasing pullets at POL or sex linked chicks.

There ARE shelters that take them but that seems like putting the responsibility on someone else. Shelters are often ill equipped to handle chickens, especially roosters, extra especially in urban/suburban settings. The reality is that most shelters would take them - then put them in a very small cage and eventually euthanize them. Sending them to a shelter basically IS culling them.

There's 10 roosters to every 10 hens hatched, but most people can only keep one of those ten at best. Even if you buy sexed chicks or pullets those roosters still went somewhere most likely somewhere they're eaten by something. And that's a fact of chicken ownership you'll have to square with someday.

Can you ask a friend or neighbor or a local farmer to process them for you? At least then they will be useful, feeding people. Can you give them their own bachelor pad? Then they can live out their lives.

X 2!

I disagree that there may not be a choice. If you aren't prepared to deal with roosters, don't hatch or buy chicks. Hatching is a choice, not a necessity. There are plenty of options out there to purchase known pullets in order to avoid cockerels, either by purchasing pullets at POL or sex linked chicks.
I agree with that :oops: I think that people get sucked into buying cute fluffy chicks then they grow into a cockerel.

I have seen companies say that they are 99.9% accurate on their vent sexing even the company my local farm purchases from... I have news for them, but because of their mess up I now have eggs in the incubator.

I'm a glass half full type of person. I always see the positive, it's probably my biggest downfall!

The only 100% accurate way to make sure you don’t end up with a rooster is to buy adult hens. Henry VIII II and Henry VIII III were both sexed chicks, yet never gave me those promised eggs...

I agree with that :oops: I think that people get sucked into buying cute fluffy chicks then they grow into a cockerel.

I have seen companies say that they are 99.9% accurate on their vent sexing even the company my local farm purchases from... I have news for them, but because of their mess up I now have eggs in the incubator.

I'm a glass half full type of person. I always see the positive, it's probably my biggest downfall!

No need to hide under that chair. I'm sincerely sorry if I seemed aggressive I was doing 3 things at once and didn't intend to come across that way.

The only 100% accurate way to make sure you don’t end up with a rooster is to buy adult hens. Henry VIII II and Henry VIII III were both sexed chicks, yet never gave me those promised eggs...

There are sex links that can be purchased as well. Not sexed chicks, but chicks that you tell the sex of based on color at hatch.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom