I'm horrible at matching colors, I could use a little help for my quilt please!

miohippus

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 23, 2010
I'm makeing a baby quilt for a friend and like i say i horrible with colors, I'm planing on makeing a picture frame type baby quilt here is what i have which fabric do you think looks best with the puppies? or do i need to find someting different any suggestions?

this is a bright green it looks a little darker in the photo for some reason

would this be to busy?

that one is a tad blurry but i think you can get the idea, She said the babys room was green and she was probably going to have yellow and blue acents also. Ok so what to you think?

I like both the 2nd and 3rd fabrics with your puppy print, but I think I like the 3rd one best of all, not as intensely busy. Really, either would work. Wonder if you could use both in some way?

Last edited:
I like both the 2nd and 3rd fabrics with your puppy print, but I think I like the 3rd one best of all, not as intensely busy. Really, either would work. Wonder if you could use both in some way?

I thougt about doing that i have more than one square of the puppie print and want to get some more puppie prints but i have limited resorses where i live. I could border one or two squares in the two striped fabrics.

Last edited:
Why not put a 1 inch green border around your puppy print blocks and then a 3 inch border around that with the stripe in the third picture. Depending on how big you want the baby quilt to be, you could then pull in your yellow for a sashing between the blocks. (means you would have to buy a little of the yellow.)

You will need a backing fabric ....the print in the 2nd picture would work for that since it pulls all three colors together.

Then for binding...go back with the green.

Lay your fabricks out and see if that would work.

I actually like the top solid green one best if you want to accent the puppy print.
I think the 2nd one is so busy that you loose the puppies in it.
The third is nice, I think it kinda matches the busy of the print though, so neither one shines as the star of the quilt.

It may be cute if you have enough of the other prints to do a slightly smaller square of the others and border them with a thin strip of the solid, just to provide a visual break between all the prints. Then you could alternate the squares. I'll see if I can get a graphic of what I mean.

Using the puppies and just the second print would give me a headache to look at it.

Last edited:
I actually like the top solid green one best if you want to accent the puppy print.
I think the 2nd one is so busy that you loose the puppies in it.
The third is nice, I think it kinda matches the busy of the print though, so neither one shines as the star of the quilt.

It may be cute if you have enough of the other prints to do a slightly smaller square of the others and border them with a thin strip of the solid, just to provide a visual break between all the prints. Then you could alternate the squares. I'll see if I can get a graphic of what I mean.

Using the puppies and just the second print would give me a headache to look at it.

I'm more of a visual learner so a graphic would help me to see what you mean :)

how about this one i just found in my stash? i think it might make you go cross eyed also though.

Oh, I found some yellow but it's not a solid realy would this work? I don't have many solids unfortunately.

also i found one more dog print but there is not much of i and i'm not sure if i would work what do you tink?

Last edited:
I like the yellow-I don't work with actual solids much myself, only fabrics that "read" as solids, like blenders. I like NanaKat's suggestion to use the really super busy striped one as the backing. It's really up to you. There is no wrong answer. Sometimes, if I want use something I already have rather than have to buy something that is "perfectly matched", the result is striking without extra expenditure.

Back
Top Bottom