I'm in a situation, but I want to raise them now. Always wanted chickens!

One issue nobody mentioned is that the coop will be too small when the chicks grow up. At most, your coop will hold 10 chickens if there is a big space (at least 10 square feet per chicken) to scratch around. So you might have to sell/rehome or whatever a lot of the chicks or build another coop?

Good luck though!

25 chicks is going to be more than a 8'X4' coop can support when they grow up. If they have a large run area and coop is only to lay eggs and roost I use 2 SQFT per bird so think about selling some chicks or wait until they are feathered in 4 to 6 weeks to sell for more. The name of the breed is Australorp. It's meaning/root is utility Orpington strain developed in Australia; Austral-Orp.

You may find brooding them indoors easier. Depending on your coop layout and how your sectioning off the old and young providing a heat light and moderating temp, constant checking of chick water etc. usually is easier indoors or garage. It only takes a large box or tote to start, providing more space as they grow of course.

Oh, and to let you know depending on the hatchery you'll get extras that are almost guaranteed roosters. Hopefully you want to breed them or don't mind a tasty 16 week-18 week table bird.

Sorry for your loss. Your coop is going to be small as several have said.The size needed is variable with your local weather conditions and how much room they have outside. If they are confined to the coop permantely or periods in bad/cold weather then I can see where the 10 sq ft per bird is needed. Here in Texas mine are never confined to the coop and allowed into a run with adequate space during the day with some free ranging then the coop can be much smaller. Mine have about 2.5 sq ft each in the coop and are happy. In fact the six of them sleep on one 4 ft long roost even though they have 3 to choose from. With 25 you may have to get rid of a few roo's depending on whether he ordered pullets or stright run which will be about half and half. Half or more of the coop would be more appropriate for the little ones unless you want to have to redo the brooder area as they grow. If the adults have access to an outside run they only need room to sleep inside. For feed the little ones should have chick starter and the adults their own food, but you could also feed them as suggested with the grower and free choice oyster shell. If you do go with the chick starter don't be afraid to buy a 50 lb bag, you will use more than that before they are grown! Good luck.

I totally forgot to say I'm sorry about your grandfather! So glad he left you a love of chickens to remember him by
hugs.gif

Thank you all for the great replies and the condolences , really nice of you all. I'm in a pretty good situation with these chicks I have coming. I have a friend that raises chickens , and he now wants 15 of them. I'd really love to have a little Rooster out of this group, will he show any signs when he's a chick just incase I get extras? Ive now built a pretty good sized run for my hens I have now, so life is good for them now, lol. I got some oyster shell, so do I put that in a bowl of its own? I really love all these tips y'all are giving me, this has been a fabulous learning experience! Thank You All

I really don't know anything about Australorps so I won't know when they show their true "colors". Yes, keep the oyster shells in a separate container, because the chicks or males shouldn't eat it (and won't until they're ready) That way you can feed everyone the same food. Good luck!

astralorp roos will have a bigger comb by week 4. and yes he is still in afganistan as part of the troops that are POLICE action. as you can tell I hate that word. He is supposed to be home by new years. YEA!!!! been a long 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom