I'm incubating for the first time!

elcunni75

Songster
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
SE MA
OK...
I've read quite a bit about this and am taking the Plunge!! YIKES!
celebrate.gif

I have a Little Giant Still Air incubator.. keeping it running around 101F w/ one air plug open. It has an egg turner - I was afraid after going this far, I may forget to turn them! And the water well things filled.

I am incubating a dozen Jersey Giants & a dozen Buff Orpingtons...
Cinco de Mayo 2010 will hopefully bring us chickies! OOoo! I can't wait!
wee.gif

What else do I need to do or know for a successful first hatch???
I am planning on making my first egg check next week, followed by the second check the week after that! Keep a constant eye on the water wells to prevent drying out. And 3 days beforehand, shut off and remove egg turner.

Many Thanks in Advance!!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Wow! You too???? I'll be your hatching buddy if you'd like. It's my first hatch too. I borrowed an incubator from my friend, I put 8 of my own Splash Silkie eggs in Sunday evening. Today I got 8 Buff Silkie eggs from Sundown Silkies (got them on a byc auction). They're going in tonight. So I should have Cinco de mayo babies too!!!!!!! Isn't that Spanish for "I'VE GOT CHICKS !!!!" ?????????? Well, it is now.

I can't wait to candle them and see who is alive and growing. I don't know if my own eggs are fertile or not, The ones I ordered should be alive and kicking with no problem.

I developed a sure fire way to remember how many times I've turned them each day. I got two little glass bowls and put 5 hazelnuts in one bowl (it could have been marbles, but the nuts were handy and appropriate). Every time I turn the eggs, I move one nut to the next bowl. At the end of the day, when all 5 nuts are in the second bowl, I'm done. Next morning I start over. Every time I walk by and check the temp/humidity the nuts are right there reminding me. They say to turn them an odd number of times per day. That way they don't end up on the same side every night.

What are you keeping your humidity at? Mine varies from 45% to 60%. It's hard to keep that stable.

Lockdown and hatch day are going to be verrrrry hard on me. I don't know how I'll be able to go to work that day knowing miracles are taking place on my dining table and I'm not there to see them. Might have to take a "mental health" day off. HA!!!! My boss also has chickens and reads byc, so there's no hiding it!!!!! HA! Talk about ACCOUNTABILITY!!!! I know she'll understand. She loves her chickie babies as much as I do. She has the larger breeds like you are raising. I'm sticking with bantam size since they're pets for me and I don't live on a farm.

What other chickens do you have?

Sandi

Quote:
I'm already scoping out other hatchable eggs!!!
I was like this as soon as I got my first batch of chicks too!
I should Know better...
lol.png

I have 36 eggs in my incubater now! And just made a candeler. That was neat.

I am also new to the world of incubation and loving it. I have my first set of eggs in now. Will be a week this Thursday. I have 9 in there now. they are mixed breeds we just call them barnyard eggs lol.
I candled them tonight for the 1st time and so far in all 4 of my brown eggs i see movement. But not really to sure in one of them so will check that one in a day or two again. What I did to remind my self that i did candle the egg and its good is a put a happy face in my O. I put x's and o's on my eggs for turning. I turn when i get up at 2am then again when i get home about 3:30pm and then before i go to bed at that is suppose to be about now 8pm.

I have green eggs from my EE's and have a hard time seeing if thier is any life in those right now. I do see a dark area but not to sure what i am looking at lol.

Well, Good luck on your eggs keeping fingers crossed for you.

deana in texas

You need to go and get a hygrometer if you don't have one. You can get them at Walmart or Target or a pet store. Then calibrate it.

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

Humidity should be about 40% days 1-17 and 65-75% at lockdown. Air flow and ventilation are crucial. You cannot put all the plugs in your incubator to raise the humidity. Search on BYC for what people use, sponges, rags, etc. It is the surface area of the water that makes the humidity, not the depth.

Ask questions if you need to and good luck and have fun with your new addiction.
smile.png

Quote:
Cool!
wee.gif

I saw a local ad online for these eggs - $5 a doz.. thought that was great (is it?)!! AND, the best part - NO HIDING it from Hubby! LOL! Their flock was beautiful! CAN'T wait for the chickies!!
The kids are looking forward to seeing them while they're inside - it's a good life science, homeschool type thing! Gonna be busy making a candler box and exploring where to put the Brooder this time!!
I can't keep the humidity stable either.. I figure if I can Just keep the temperature stable it should be ok.. right? Time will tell...
I guess I should be thankful to be home all the time...
I'll be a nervous wreck! but maybe I'll invite some friends over and we'll have wine to celebrate the hatching! A Hatch Day Party!!
ya.gif

Gosh! What other chickens do I have?? I started with a hardy stable breed - Barred Rocks.. 4yrs ago. Since then, I have a wide variety - a Buff & White Orpington, Speckled Sussex, Brown Leghorns, RI Reds, NH Reds, Partridge Rocks, Salmon Favorelles, Light & Dark Brahmas, Austrolorps, a Black & White Jersey Giant, a White-Crested Black Polish... I think that covers it! LOL!

I just set my chicken eggs tonight too! This is my first hatch and I am so excited I can barely stand it!
wee.gif
This is going to be a llllooonnnngggg 21 days. Good luck on your hatch!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom