I'm legally allowed to have ten, BUT...

It all depends on how you "interpet" the city codes and the cans and cannots here in Arvada
big_smile.png

We are allowed 3 hens, no roosters. We have 6 hens, 1 rooster. Working on adding 2-3 to the flock. I walk through our neighborhood and see that many coops are full of more than 3 chickens. I say get 'em. No one will ever notice an extra few chickens in a flock of 10. By my chicken math theories, no one will ever notice the extra 7 chickens in our flock of 3. And that crowing? No idea. I will say... that we checked with our neighbors and they are all on board and supportive even w/ the roo. And they seem to enjoy the eggs!

Just to add: I am in a situation where I know that even if the chicken police man comes he will not make me get rid of any birds (except the rooster). I will just have to buy a permit and will likely get permitted to 15-20. If I were truly worried about birds getting taken away, I would refrain from breaking the rules so blatantly.

I have four and am allowed 12. But you know what stops me from getting more?
More birds = more POO! That's the reality. Figure out how much poo you want to clean up, smell and step in before you go wanting to impress family & friends with eggs. They're not the ones to manage the poo.

Last edited:
when we lived in town we were allowed 6. i had 8 and then 9. now we live out of town and don't have a limit. IMO unless your neighbors turn you in, most cities are not roaming around looking for people breaking chicken laws, unless they have staff dedicated exclusively to that. in today's economy, that's not the case, especially in CO springs. so i say go for it. and if you ply your neighbors with good eggs, they most likely will not turn you in to the city.

my neighbor got called on by the city, and they told him to get rid of all of his quails, and all of his chickens but can keep only two hens... so i'm cutting down on my flock until i get a rally group and try to change our municipal codes... i have 30 right now... he has two weeks, and i have to hide my breeding pens...

sad.png

my goal is to be allowed 8 hens and 1 rooster... that way i can keep as many birds as i please... LOL....

Back
Top Bottom