I'm looking for some airline flying advice (MORE questions on pg 3)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    You are near the increase time - 30 days prior is one price- booking 20 to 30 is another and so on my kids fly a lot both in the states and out of the country - keep looking till ya hit the price you want to pay (free may not be an option LOL ) many time my sons have been sitting next to people who paid 600 + for tixs they didn't have a 100.00 in - we have a lot of airport options here w/ Cleveland - Pitt - Akron -Canton and even Buffalo - They wanted over 700.00 to fly my son to the 3 so we sent him to Buffalo for 99.00 --
    good luck --

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Songster

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Most airline tickets these days are Electronic Tickets, which means they are paperless. You will get a confirmation number and a ticket number with your itinerary and that is how the airline tracks your ticket and how you would check in with your drivers license. Make sure the name on your drivers license is the same name you put on your ticket or your passport if going International. Once you find an itinerary more than likely it will be non-refundable, non-transferable, and then they also have change fees if you were to later decide or have to change your ticket. Soo you need to make certain what you are buying is the correct dates and times you want, this can be an issue with booking online, just check and double check before purchasing. 24hours prior to departure you can print your boarding pass, this can be done on the website of the airline you are flying on. For Southwest you should do it as close to the 24hour time because they board by numbers and the closer to the 24hour time the better your chance of a good seat will be. Take your boarding pass to the airport, and if you check in a bag most airlines are charging an additional $15 for the 1st bag, $25 for the 2nd bag, carryon baggage is free so that's the way to go if you can. Keep your camera in your carryon that way you don't have to worry about it! If your checking bags depending on the airport you can sometimes do it curbsite or once you are inside the airport. That bag is then transfered to the airline and will again be transfered to your next plan for your connection flight. You will not have access to that bag until you land at your destination. Hope we've answered your questions. It's very safe to fly, enjoy and good luck finding a great priced ticket!! [​IMG]

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I fly all the time.

1. ARRIVE EARLY!!! Pick a time you think you need to be there, then add at least an hour to it for padding. remember...THEY GIVE AWAY YOUR SEAT IF YOU ARENT AT THE TERMINAL 15-20 MINUTES BEFORE THE FLIGHT!!!

Order your tickets by either contacting the airlines or through the travel websites, either way you'll get an "E-Ticket".
    +print the confirmation number ant itenerary etc and bring it with you. (just in case)

I often don't print anything, Just show up at the E-Ticket fast check in section. They are dead easy, slide your credit card in the thing like an ATM, confirm your destination city, name, checked baggs, seating assignment, if you want to pay the extra money for an upgrade, etc...It will print your receipt, and boarding pass and baggage taggs. Bag Tags are printed behind the conter where the "bag lady" works, she'll confirm you are you and the bag is yours, tag it and take it away.

She will usually tell you how to get to your gate.

***Be ready for the LONG line at security. Don't bring anything you don't need to use on the flight. It annoys me to no end at the massive amounts of crap people bring as carry-on luggage.
    Bring a few things to keep from getting bored, snacks, etc.
    BRING EARPLUGS!! the camera etc...
    You don't need the 30lb rolling bag full of clothes for three days on a two hour flight.
    Don't wear complicated clothing with lots of metal belt buckles or difficult to remove shoes etc. Take off your jacket or any other bulky clothing.
    Don't bring water or drinks. Buy them after you get through security.
    If you have a laptop, take it out early.
    Have your boarding pass and ID at the ready.

++After security find the departure screens, find your flight, confirm your gate number, sometimes the change with out notice.
    ++Find your gate first!!! then go for food, shopping etc.
    ++resist the urge to pile up infront of the gate when they call for first class passengers. Everyone will have assigned seats anyway they won't let you on until your number is called....Even if you get on the plane first, you'll have to wait for all the other passengers to board, fiddle faddle with their oversized carry on luggage for 20 minutes before the flight attendant has to take the bag and have it checked becuase it won't fit. Meanwhile there's no A/C while your just sitting there getting hot.
    Anyway, sit back and relax in the nice fresh air of the airport terminal while they pack the sardines. Since you don't have a bunch of carry-on stuff, you can be the last person onboard, and by the time you sit down and buckle up, the plane is rolling for the runway.
    When they call for boarding, I always go to the bathroom just so I resist that urge to stand around and clogg the airport.

++At your destination, go directly to the car rental place FIRST!!!
    It takes about 15-20 minutes for them to unload the plane, use that time to get your car keys and rental stuff out of the way and there won't be any lines to deal with. Then, while everyone else is standing in line, you are getting on the raod!

4. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Songster

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Quote:Lots of good advice here. I travel for my job - each and every week - so here's my advice:

If you buy a discount ticket and your plans change, you're up a creek. I would go to Expedia, find the cheapest ticket, then go to that airline's website to buy it so you don't pay a broker's fee. You can get a "non-refundable" ticket that still allows you to change the itinerary for a fee if you miss your plane or can't make the flight for some other reason. The airlines will rebook you if they cancel the flight, but if you have a super-discounted fare, you may be responsible for additional fare costs and fees, so be careful.

Check in online. You can print your boarding pass at home, choose your seat and enter the amount of luggage you'll be checking. Don't forget almost every airline charges at the counter for checking luggage! If you can, just pack your things in a carry-on bag. Even if you check bags, get your boarding pass when you check in online so you can pick your seats. You want a seat close to the front of the plane on the first leg of your flight so you can be one of the first off to make your connection. It can take 10 to 15 minutes to empty a plane if you're in the back.

Make sure you have at least one hour layover between flights. Your next flight will board 30 minutes before take-off, and you will need time to get from one gate to the next.

When you get to the airport go to the check-in counter, check your luggage if you need to, and ask them to tell you how to get to your gate after you go through security. They will also give you a boarding pass for your connecting flight.

Luggage: Try to take only a carry-on bag if you can. Sometimes on smaller planes they will "gate check" your carry on - that's okay. It means you leave it on a rack right outside the plane door before you board, but you pick it up right when you get off. Make sure you know if your luggage is being "gate checked" (you will take it through security yourself) or checked through (sometimes if there is too much luggage on the plane they will take it and check it through to your destination for you). If you gate check it, DON'T FORGET IT!

When you get off your first flight, sometimes there is an attendant at the end of the ramp to tell you where you next gate is. Sometimes, though, there isn't. Find the nearest set of monitors marked "Departures" and look for your destination city. It will be in alphabetical order. Find the departure time and the flight number, and it will tell you what your gate is there. Then follow the signs in the airport to the gate.

Carry-on luggage and security: Your digital camera is fine in your personal bag. You can only carry liquids (nothing flammable) in 3oz bottles - as many as you can fit into a three ounce clear bag. This is the size of a ziploc "quart" size baggie. No big tubes of toothpaste, shampoo, medications - nothing over 3 oz. or else they will take it. NOTHING that even remotely resembles a weapon, even if it's a toy. Your carry on bag must fit through the x-ray machine, so keep that in mind. You will have to remove your shoes and coat and put them through the x-ray machine. Don't wear anything with a lot of metal or else you'll have to remove it. I put my jewelry in my purse, then put it on after I go through security just to save any possible hassle. NOT my diamond ring though. Just the chunky stuff - big necklace, watch, etc.

You will need to show your boarding pass and your ID to security, so don't stick them in your bag (which will go through the machine). At the gate, they will not need your ID - just your boarding pass, which they will take and give you part of it back with your seat assignment.

You are allowed usually one carry on bag and one "personal item" like a briefcase or purse. HOWEVER some airlines don't even allow that. Northwest lets me fly from Ithaca to Detroit with a purse and a computer bag, but when I try to board on the same size plane leaving Detroit, they only allow one or the other (and those SkyHags are NOT nice about it either). They don't care if you just got off a smaller plane with the same thing - they make you gate check one of the bags. So keep all of your valuables (like your camera) in your bag on the plane if you take a personal bag and a carry on.

They charge for EVERYTHING on the plane, even water. Ryan Air is even thinking of charging for the toilets! Eat before you go, take a couple of bucks for a soda on the plane if you want, and absolutely take a pack of crackers or a bag of trail mix and keep it in your personal bag. I can't tell you how many times it has saved me when my flight has been delayed and I was starving but nothing was open or I had to stay by the gate in case the flight was called. Speaking of, if your flight is delayed, don't wander too far from the gate. Sometimes they will suddenly start to board and I've seen people miss their plane because they thought they had lots of time when they didn't.

Good luck, leave yourself lots of time and don't get stressed. If things get delayed or cancelled, don't get upset because it doesn't help at all. Have the airline's 1-800 number written down so you can call for help. A lot of people wait in long lines to get rebooked and you can be on the phone getting it straightened out. It's a good idea to have a credit card in case of emergency (like your flight gets cancelled and you get stuck overnight somewhere). Airlines no longer automatically get you a hotel room anymore unless you're a frequent flyer.

Hope this helps - I gave you a lot of worse case scenarios, so I hope I didn't scare you! I'm sure you'll have a great time! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  5. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thanks for all the advice. I am starting to feel a little better. I'll be flying from Syracuse, NY to Indianapolis, IN and my mom and step dad will be waiting for me in Indy. I don't usually carry a purse but this might be a good reason to get one. I'm going to bring as little as possible. I have a lot of old clothes at my dad's house that I can just grab to wear. As far as shampoo and stuff like that I'll just use my parents or buy some. I don't wear make up so luckily I don't have to worry about that. Might just grab some underwear and maybe two pairs of pants and shirts. I might just wear a zip up sweat shirt instead of bringing a coat. I don't have a cell phone unfortuantely. If I have time inbetween plane changes after I find my gate I might call my mom to let her know what is going on. That way she sort of knows when I'll be arriving cause she has to drive 1 1/2 hours to pick me up. Most of the tickets I've looked at I will only be on both planes for a total of 4-5 hours so I am not worrying about food to much. Maybe just bring a book to read.

I do have some more questions to ask...

1. I have body piercings (ears/eyebrow) but I can't take them out but have been through medal detectors plenty of times at court houses since my husband is an attorney. Should I worry about them cause I can't remove them without special tools to get them back in?
    2. Have a question about the e-tickets. I don't have a credit card but my husband was going to buy the ticket with his but put the ticket in my name. When I go to print off the ticket at the airport do I need his card and if so will it be in an area that I can give him his card back after getting the ticket? I was sort of worrying about that cause I will only have cash with me after I say my goodbyes to him.
    3. Also if I have any extra fees come up can I pay with cash?

6. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I found some tickets I will probably buy tonight. Just have to find out how long my husband can go without me around so I know the date to fly back. I checked different sites and the airline sites for prices. Found some on Expedia for around $200 round trip and right not for a limited time they aren't charging booking fees. The airline's site was $250 for pretty much the same ticket. They do allow carry on for a 9X14X22 inch bag weighing no more than 40lbs. and a 15X11X6 inch purse. I'm getting more nervous since it is almost official for the dates and ticket. I'll be rushing around the next two weeks trying to get our fenced area ready for the chickens/turkeys before I leave. We are putting them in a new spot by the barn instead of the house. Needs new fencing and we have a metal frame that last year we wrapped plastic around it that worked pretty good except for when it got to hot. We are going to put some wire doors on it this time that will allow air flow.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I fly Delta so I print my E-Ticket, get to airport and go to Delta Kiosk, print boarding passes and get on plane. Most often I do nto check bagge so I do ont even bother with the counter for checking baggage.

Check the airlines you will be flying, most of their webistes have the do and do not's listed. Have all of your bath products, medicine, liquids and so forth in a ziploc baggie and packed on top, they need to come out of your, go in the bok and go through x-ray. Cameras, laptops electronics and so forth must be out as well, Take off your shoes and put those in there too.

Get through x-ray and re-dress re-pack [​IMG], go to gate, get on plane and have fun. Your baggage will be tranferred from plane to plane for you if it is checked. Make sure your name and address and contact number for where you will be is on it. they should put a flight tag on it for you. [​IMG]

8. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Bellingham, Washington
    1. I have body piercings (ears/eyebrow) but I can't take them out but have been through medal detectors plenty of times at court houses since my husband is an attorney. Should I worry about them cause I can't remove them without special tools to get them back in? Most of the time they're okay. I've flown with a friend who has an eyebrow and tongue pircing, and she was okay. If you're worried, you can put in the smallest ones, so there'll be little chance of a problem.

2. Have a question about the e-tickets. I don't have a credit card but my husband was going to buy the ticket with his but put the ticket in my name. When I go to print off the ticket at the airport do I need his card and if so will it be in an area that I can give him his card back after getting the ticket? I was sort of worrying about that cause I will only have cash with me after I say my goodbyes to him. I always use my parents credit card (they get free flights), so I have never had the credit card with me. Print (or write down) the confirmation number, and itinerary. Don't forget valid ID!! That should be all you need. It's all I've ever had!

3. Also if I have any extra fees come up can I pay with cash? This one someone else will have to answer. I've never had any happen.

Also, someone said that even water costs money on a plane. I've never been charged for water! They charge like $5.00 for a bag of chips, but non-alcoholic beverages have always been free. Maybe I've been lucky??

And my most important tip: Wear slip on shoes.

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Make sure the name your husband puts for the passenger matches the name on your ID. My friend wasnt able to fly once
    because her Driver's license was the shorter version of her name and the ticket was the longer! They wouldnt let her board!

I fly frequently and always get free beverages . Water, coffee, soda, juice is free on every airline I've used, granted they give you a small plastic cup with about 90% ice and 2 ounces of drink but you can always request more and sometimes they give me the whole soda can. Alcohol you always pay for of course.
    Food is another story. If you have a long flight they usually have a food option you can purchase for @$5. I just take some snacks with me and a piece of fruit.

I usually search for flights on Orbitz.com , find out the cheapest options there and then go to the actual airline's website and purchase. Southwest and Jet Blue I search separately as Orbitz doesnt book them and a lot of times they are the best deal for me.
    Tuesdays and Saturday's are the cheapest days to fly. Friday's Sunday's and Monday's usually the most.

Have fun!

nancy

10. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Songster

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    1. I have body piercings (ears/eyebrow) but I can't take them out but have been through medal detectors plenty of times at court houses since my husband is an attorney. Should I worry about them cause I can't remove them without special tools to get them back in?
    Like hennypenny said, they should be fine. I've heard stories about them setting the metal detector off, but I think that's someone who's heavily pierced.

2. Have a question about the e-tickets. I don't have a credit card but my husband was going to buy the ticket with his but put the ticket in my name. When I go to print off the ticket at the airport do I need his card no!and if so will it be in an area that I can give him his card back after getting the ticket? yes! I was sort of worrying about that cause I will only have cash with me after I say my goodbyes to him.

3. Also if I have any extra fees come up can I pay with cash? Yes! but if he's going to be there when you check in, then don't worry. You'll just need food money.

I think the charge for drinks depends on the airline. On US Air, it's $2 for a soda, $1 for water, coffee or tea, and $7 for alcoholic beverages. Landing in the Hudson and living to tell the tale: priceless!

Sorry, I shouldn't make jokes like that before your first flight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: