I'm looking for some airline flying advice (MORE questions on pg 3)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Mar 18, 2009.

1. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Bellingham, Washington
    Quote:Wow! Last time I flew, it was Continental and we had snacks and one meal, FREE. Of course, it's like the last airline to serve free meals, but to charge for water?!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I finally bought a ticket. I got lucky. Last night the ticket prices jumped up to $300. I checked in the morning and I found a bunch of tickets for $153-$160. Before I bought it I opened up expedia on another page to look at the other $160 ones and the $153 one was the only cheap one left and the other tickets where $270 and up. I bought the $153 ticket and they confirmed the ticket so it is booked. Also one of the stops on the way back is the same plane so I'll know where the gate is easily. I put my name on the ticket. Only time I had to enter my husbands name was for the credit card information. Now I have one last question I can think of. Can I bring snacks in my purse to eat on the plane? I'll be flying Delta down and US Airways back.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    I just booked 3 round trip tickets from Cleveland to Orlando for may for $198 per person including all taxes and surcharges through Expedia.com - I thought that was awesome - we will be flying Continental - my favorite airline for on-board customer service.

I thought that was an awesome deal!

Although I do think they charge $15 per bag at check in - we'll only be checking one bag and each taking a packed and loaded carryon!

ETA - we took our own snacks but you cannot take drinks. They will make you dump them in the trash prior to boarding.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    You can bring a ham sandwich if you want, as long as it fits under the seat in front of you! LOL!!

I highly recommend bringing all the snacks you think you'll eat with you, yes even an sandwich. The food in 99% of airports is horridly expensive and bad for you. Bring your own, it's cheap and you know what's in it.

DO NOT bring drinks or water...they won't let you have it. buy water after you pass security.
    DO NOT bring citrus fruit. Most states have a quarintine on citrus because of some little bug.
    Make sure any lotions or liquidy stuff you carry on is less than 4oz and are in a Ziplock sandwich baggie.

5. mistylady

mistylady Songster

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Bring snacks and something to read. And enjoy your trip! [​IMG]

6. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Bellingham, Washington
    Quote:As everyone said, yes to the snacks, no to the water. BUT I'm thinking it is the liquid that is against the rules. If you have an empty (!!!) water bottle, bring it along. Be sure to take it out of your bag at security, then fill it with water once you're past the check point! I'm pretty sure I read this tip in a magazine of some sort. And If you must toss it, it's no skin off your nose.

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:As everyone said, yes to the snacks, no to the water. BUT I'm thinking it is the liquid that is against the rules. If you have an empty (!!!) water bottle, bring it along. Be sure to take it out of your bag at security, then fill it with water once you're past the check point! I'm pretty sure I read this tip in a magazine of some sort. And If you must toss it, it's no skin off your nose.

Me and my mom do this all the time, they've never made me toss it, I bring an empty water bottle and a little packet of crystal light or something to pour in as Airport water doesnt always taste the best. Flying does dehydrate you so drinking alcohol or coffee just adds to it. For least amount of time dif lag drink plenty of water.

Nancy

8. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My plane leaves this Saturday. I have a few more questions that came up.

1.The Expedia site said I need to reconfirm my flight 24 hours before my departure. Do I just go onto the site and it will have a reconfirm button or do I have to call the airport?

2. I got realizing that my time zone is an hour ahead than IL. On the Itinerary my take off time is 6:00am and my arrival time is 10:10am. It said the flight and connections are 4 hours and 10 minutes. I'm assuming that the 10:10am is my time so my parents should be there around 9:10am to pick me up. Now on the way back though will the ticket be their time zone or the time zone here? I booked the ticket as a round trip. I don't want to show up an hour late or early and have my husband an hour late or early and miss my flight.

3. I accidently catch my eyebrow ring on some wood last week trying to catch chickens to put outside. Well since I don't have tools to tighten the ball up in the hoop I was going to bring my extra jewelry. I plan on stopping at my cousin's tattoo shop and maybe have him tighten it. I will be putting them in a purse. Do I need to take them out of the purse during the security check? I might also buy some piercing tools (clamp to tighten hoops and ball holder) but wasn't sure if it would be better to just ship it back or if it would be alright in my carry-on bag?

4. I didn't buy one of those wheeled carry-on bags since my husband was saying it is the same size as a bookbag he has. Will I have any problems using a bookbag as a carry-on? I have and ID tag to put on it. I wasn't sure if it had to be a suit case type of bag or could be a bookbag.

I'd really appericiate any answers since I'm starting to stress with it coming up so quick. I want to make sure I have everything I can do ready and perfect as I can get so it will be less stuff I have to worry about.

9. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Bellingham, Washington
    1.The Expedia site said I need to reconfirm my flight 24 hours before my departure. Do I just go onto the site and it will have a reconfirm button or do I have to call the airport?

Online is how I always do it, and I've never been turned away.

2. I got realizing that my time zone is an hour ahead than IL. On the Itinerary my take off time is 6:00am and my arrival time is 10:10am. It said the flight and connections are 4 hours and 10 minutes. I'm assuming that the 10:10am is my time so my parents should be there around 9:10am to pick me up. Now on the way back though will the ticket be their time zone or the time zone here? I booked the ticket as a round trip. I don't want to show up an hour late or early and have my husband an hour late or early and miss my flight.

It should automatically go to the correct timezone. I've flown to Japan, and the East Coast, and never even gave it a thought, lol! I believe it should say PST or whatever behind the time? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

4. I didn't buy one of those wheeled carry-on bags since my husband was saying it is the same size as a bookbag he has. Will I have any problems using a bookbag as a carry-on? I have and ID tag to put on it. I wasn't sure if it had to be a suit case type of bag or could be a bookbag.

I usually bring a messenger style bag as a carry-on. As long as it's within the airline's specifications there won't be a problem. I never remember to mark mine with my name, but I'm a bad example. [​IMG]

I don't know about the eyebrow ring stuff. [​IMG] When in doubt, put in a clear plastic bag and take out at security.​

10. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thanks for the reply. It didn't say the time zone next to the time. I'll have my husband's sister take a look at it or call the airport the night before. I have my jewelry in a tiny zip lock bag. Maybe I'll ask or look for signs when I'm waiting in line. Been making a list out so I'll know what I need to take so I don't forget anything when I leave.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: