I'm looking into buying some turkey chicks, should I get a Tom too?

THere are many sources of buying turkey poults; many breeders are wrapping up hatching; heritage birds take 8 mo to get to dinner size so these THanksgiving birds were hatched much ealier in the year; the broad breasted commercial birds however only take about 4-5 months to get to dinner size. Most breeds are sols as mixed males and females; the large hatcheries will sort them charging a higher price for the toms because they will grow much bigger than the hens. Most breeds are not sexlink colored, therefore most breeders sell them straight run.

I have a bourbon red tom (and hen) and he struts and puffs and always backs away and lets me in his run. I can only speak for my guy personally, but I understand that BR are of thee most personable. Mine is not personable--but that's ok, I have enough hens that follow me around! LOL

Whether you are looking to breed or serve a turkey dinner would decide which breeders would suit your needs. Locally, I can find a few poults via Craigs list.

Check out Porter Turkeys as a place to learn more; and the ALBC (AmericanLivestockBreedsCOncervancy); not all breeds are available in all areas--this has been my experience. GL

Back
Top Bottom