I'm looking into buying some turkey chicks, should I get a Tom too?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by WooingWyandotte, Aug 1, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    First off, how mean are the tom's? Which breeds are the most docile? Is there a good breeder that anyone knows of?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THere are many sources of buying turkey poults; many breeders are wrapping up hatching; heritage birds take 8 mo to get to dinner size so these THanksgiving birds were hatched much ealier in the year; the broad breasted commercial birds however only take about 4-5 months to get to dinner size. Most breeds are sols as mixed males and females; the large hatcheries will sort them charging a higher price for the toms because they will grow much bigger than the hens. Most breeds are not sexlink colored, therefore most breeders sell them straight run.

I have a bourbon red tom (and hen) and he struts and puffs and always backs away and lets me in his run. I can only speak for my guy personally, but I understand that BR are of thee most personable. Mine is not personable--but that's ok, I have enough hens that follow me around! LOL

Whether you are looking to breed or serve a turkey dinner would decide which breeders would suit your needs. Locally, I can find a few poults via Craigs list.

Check out Porter Turkeys as a place to learn more; and the ALBC (AmericanLivestockBreedsCOncervancy); not all breeds are available in all areas--this has been my experience. GL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by