Turkey flock brooding itself to death

Kalkukulukoen

Hatching
Jun 19, 2023
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time post.

Apologies if this topic has already been fully discussed. I couldn’t find it, anyway.

I have a tom and three turkey hens (3xGers black, 1xBlue slate).

We always kept them with the chickens, but this mating season they started killing off the chickens one by one.

So we sent them out into the meadow, where they started laying, and things seemed to be going well.

The hens all went broody in April. A short while later, so did the Tom…. First we thought this was funny, and let him have his way. However, it soon turned out that he Had crushed most of the eggs, and was sitting on nothing more than a pile of rotting scrambled eggs. While the hen whose nest it was sat patiently nearby.

To get them off the nest, we shut them out of the coop, forcing them to sleep outside. This put them at risk of fox attack. The other two hens were nesting outside in the bushes. It wasn’t long before our Tom found the other nests and proceeded to evict the hens and crush the eggs.

So we gave up and threw away all the eggs. But the turkeys all continued to sit. And sit. And sit.

It is now mid/late June. They barely eat or drink. They’re covered with flies. There are no live eggs, no possibility of hatching chicks.

Does anyone have tips on unbroodifying(?) the turkeys? And especially what to do about the male?

We don’t want them to have chicks this year, out in the meadow there is too much predation, and we don’t have the infrastructure to house them separately.

Many thanks!

I just helped my friend break up a broody royal palm hen that was also sitting on a stinky rotten nest. I moved her to a bare pen with no cozy corners or places to brood up in and in about 2 weeks she was over it and got moved back with the rest of the turkeys. That is how I do my chickens so I assumed it would work for turkeys and it did. You can use a dog kennel or other type of holding pen. As long as you keep her away from the place she chose to make her nest. Keep confined for two weeks and all should be well. You may want to bathe them to get any rotting egg matter off their feathers. Fly strike is a potential issue with blowing flies, and it is so terribly bad. 😔 You can spray them with fly repellant also, but I still like to bathe mine if they've busted a stinky egg in the nest and have gunk on their feathers. Dawn dish washing liquid or even baby shampoo works to bathe them.

Last edited:
Are you collecting the eggs daily ? If not they will continue to build a new nest
I agree they will need to have a bath to clean off all smell that’s attracting the flies
From what I can gather from the post, the hens are broody and their eggs were all busted by the Tom. I'm assuming since they are broody they are not laying. We have had chickens to be broody and continue to sit in an empty nest until they are forcibly removed and "broken up" as I call it so that is what I was assuming has happened. In that case, you have to cage the hen and prevent them from getting back to where they want to nest. Then after a couple weeks the broody hormones fizzle out and they snap out of it.

To the original poster, it may prove beneficial in the future to limit contact of the Tom to the hens when they are broody. As r2elk has said in other posts, Toms will destroy a nest to encourage the hen to stop setting so he can breed her again. They can and do destroy nests if given access to them.

Thanks very much to everyone, especially kfelton0002, that’s just what I’ll try. Bathing them and putting them in prison for a couple of weeks. Must they also be separated from one another?

I’m sure the Tom wasn’t destroying the nests in order to mate the hens. It’s more like an identity crisis - he really has gone broody; losing chest feathers, going long periods without eating, etc etc. The breakages were just clumsiness. Well that’s my interpretation at least!

Thanks very much to everyone, especially kfelton0002, that’s just what I’ll try. Bathing them and putting them in prison for a couple of weeks. Must they also be separated from one another?

I’m sure the Tom wasn’t destroying the nests in order to mate the hens. It’s more like an identity crisis - he really has gone broody; losing chest feathers, going long periods without eating, etc etc. The breakages were just clumsiness. Well that’s my interpretation at least!
Lol bless it. Well as good as his intentions were, he sure made a mess. He would be banned from nesting with the hens in the future if he were mine. He can hopefully help co-parent poults once they are born. I've heard some Toms make excellent fathers and even have reared poults in some cases.

If the hens get along you could confine them together in their "broody jail." LOL

And you're welcome! I'm still learning too so we have to all be supportive to one another! 😊

Back
Top Bottom