I'm lost! Please help! Silkie respiratory issue...

What is ILT?

Infectious Laryngeotracheitis. It is a horrible, very infectious virus, which can be carried by wild birds, or in our case many years ago we accidentally brought it into our flock when my son brought home some hens from an Amish auction. We had them quarantined but it did not matter, ILT is airborne. It is a rapidly fatal illness and, as I said, very infectious. Signs are rattly breathing, coughing up blood, strange smell (sometimes) about the bird, swollen and crusty eyes, apathy, poor appetite. But if your roo has been sick as long as it sounds like he has, I don't think he has that. It usually kills in a matter of a few days, and also at least some of your other birds would be showing symptoms. And it's almost always fatal, although not necessarily. It can only be diagnosed by necopsy. But it is always possible that your roo has a viral illness of some kind, rather than an infection. Or it could be fungal.

I always think that when they're crowing that's a good sign! If he feels well enough to crow, especially if he WASNT crowing when he was sicker...that's encouraging!
smile.png
And if he wasn't eating on his own before, and now he is, that is even better! Keep trying, it sounds like you're getting there. It's just a slow process. Can you get some Baytril?

Last edited:
chicknmania I googled ILT yesterday after reading about it and I ever ran across a video on utube of a chicken with ILT I can safely rule that out as a cause... What ever it is its getting worse not better. He shakes his head constantly, breathing raspy, crusty eyes he makes a congested like sound after he crows which did go away for a few days but now it's back. He eyes seem to have improved as well. He very spunky aside from what I've listed. He does the "Indian dance" to me, eats drink, crows, loves his treats I give him so much that he starts clucking n picking up pieces as if he's making an "offering" to a hen. Lol... After buying Corid n Tylon 50 I'm broke until next week. I spent my last extra cash on him which I'd do again anytime! I can get Baytril when I get paid again. Can u tell me more abaout the medicine as far as dosage and what exactly its used for. I your opinion what's it sound like he has? I know it's complicated with chicken ailments cause different things have the same symptoms. Looks like my boy will be n rehab way longer then I thought... I pray I can help him make a full recovery!

purplesquirrel yes very true! When I know I've did everything n my power to cure an ailing chicken it helps my heart tremendously! This past October I had to have Cheech's (my current sick chicken) brother Lil Twist put down by my vet. He had scissor beak and I loved him just the same. Although my 3 week effort of trying to save him failed the vet said that because he had scissor beak there may be something inside of him that didn't develope properly as well which n return made him sick. He praised me for all my effort n trying to save a chicken... This is a vet that only sees cats n dogs but was willing to uthenize my pet chicken so I wouldn't have to cull myself... Like Lil Twist Im going to keep trying to heal Cheech... Although they r brothers they r dealing with two totally different kinds of symptoms so I know for sure it's unrelated so that's one good thing!

It's nice to have a vet like that. Ours doesn't treat chickens either but he does try to help where he can. I have no idea what your bird has really, it could be one of many things.. Baytril is like Ciproflaxin, it's the animal equivalent, basically. It's a very powerful , broad spectrum antibiotic.

Nevermind on dosage chicknmania... I googled Batril and its a prescription medicine. I'll just finish the Tylon course then get him started on vitamins... And pray!

Back
Top Bottom