I have a leghorn who is about 31 weeks and still no eggs:barnie

Holy Hanna! 31 weeks and no eggs????

Does it crow? :lau
Just kidding. That is a looooonnnnggg wait for a leghorn egg though.

My rescue leghorn was severely malnourished when young and has not laid a single egg in MONTHS! She is only two and a half years old for Pete's sake.
:he

Do you have any egg pics? (with a coin for scale, lol) What kind of eggs do you hatch under your banties? I don't care if my d'Uccles never lay, they are the sweetest birds ever and I will always have them. I love everything about them!!!
Darn, I knew Silkie and d'Uccle eggs were tiny, but I was hoping the Cochin eggs would be a little bigger. I figured I'd pickle the small eggs or just double or triple them up.

I know the Cemanis aren't big layers, but I love the way they look, so black and mysterious. I started out not knowing much about chickens and took the advice to get bantams and Silkies cuz they're easy for first timers. Then I fell in love with the Cemanis, so I wound up with 4 of them. Then I got 3 more banties and 2 standards. Victim of chicken math, LOL!! My bird-fearing husband cut me off. If I could get more I would prolly get Speckled Sussex or Black Australorps. I wanted Faverolles until I went to the stete fair and saw how huge they are, and such a little egg! Man, I don't know what it is about chickens that is so addictive, but if I could I would spend all my time hanging out with my chooks....I love the little buggers so much it's ridiculous!
My Salomon Faverolles... They have coloring issues.. Very sweet and timid birds not for egg laying... Small -medium eggs 3 times a week.
Hastings at 17 oz can and will beat up this 8 1/2# rooster.
IMG_20171001_112511.jpg
Screenshot_2017-10-02-06-13-10.png

Don't worry. The eggs will come eventually;) Mine started around 24 weeks or so, so you may have a couple more weeks to another month. Have yours started squatting or sitting on the fake eggs?
I have a leghorn who is about 31 weeks and still no eggs:barnie

Nope. The only encouraging sign (I think) is that she seems to hate me a little less than she usually does (she's a nasty thing) and will run slower in horror if I try to pet her. I thought cochins were supposed to be loveable--not mine!!

31 weeks!! I will die.

My Salomon Faverolles... They have coloring issues.. Very sweet and timid birds not for egg laying... Small -medium eggs 3 times a week.
Hastings at 17 oz can and will beat up this 8 1/2# rooster. View attachment 1150645 View attachment 1150649

They are SO CUTE!!! I actually had ordered two of those girls from MPC, then when I saw how freakin' big they are at the state fair I switched them to 2 bantam Brahmas. At the time, I had limited coop space. Since then, my poor hubby has built another coop!

My ideal chicken: Small, super friendly, good-looking (cuz I need lawn ornaments, lol!) and lays a good size egg. Lots of em.

I adore my Silkies and bantam Cochins. I keep them for brooding and because they are sweet. Amazingly, when they aren't brooding (which is frequently), they lay pretty steadily.

I don't have an easy access of photos of their eggs, but they are about half size. Sometimes my Silkies lay 3/4 size eggs.

I just double or triple up in a recipe. They are totally normal eggs.

Generally, I use the small, less perfect eggs for me and sell or give as gifts my full size eggs of pretty colors.

Never had the Ayam Cemani. Good luck with those. I do find my "designer" birds are not my best layers.

I am waiting, waiting, waiting for my Cream Legbar to lay. I've had them before (lost mine to a coon last winter), so they are okay layers but not prolific. I only got 1 pullet out of 6 set eggs. (I can only seem to hatch roosters this year). I'm waiting to see her egg color and then breed her forward with my Barnevelder rooster for olive eggs.

But alas...I too am waiting, waiting, waiting. She'll probably lay in the spring as the day light is getting shorter where I live.

Australorps are very good layers. Speckled Sussex are very pretty. Decent layers.

Yes, chickens are like potato chips. Very addicting after the first one. LOL.

LofMc
Olive eggers :love

IMG_20171002_061742.jpg
you want wonderful, small, friendly, sweet Chicks that lay really well. OEG bantams.
Only 1 rooster though... They don't like to share hens. Hastings goal is to win over the salmon Faverolles and EE hens. He likes big girls. Lol
In fact I was looking at my Japanese bantam chicks. These I saved for my breeding pen... The cockerel has white legs... Hastings the daddy he's the only one who could have done it...My Don Juan. My Cyrano. Hastings is a mess!
And my favorite by far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom