Pics
Um, you didn't hatch your faverolles did you? The egg you're holding is nearly as big as they're going to get. I bought eggs and hatched mine and when I opened the box I thought they were joking or there had been a mistake itty bitty eggs. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it lol! :)
are you kidding that isn't even a medium... Yes I hatched mine but they were the size of the Easter eggers egg!

No I'm not kidding they were the littlest eggs in the incubator. I had four little faverolles eggs, one Easter egger egg and a
delaware egg in there because I was going for an even six. The Easter egger was way bigger and the delaware looked like a turkey egg compared. They didn't even touch the sides of the egg turner. I'll be honest if anything I thought they sent me bantam faverolles eggs.
are you kidding that isn't even a medium... Yes I hatched mine but they were the size of the Easter eggers egg!

I wish the eggs came out w/ a little label so you knew who they belonged to. I thought I knew who was laying a certain egg, but apparently I was wrong. She was separated out for a few days and the egg still appeared, unfortunately she didn't lay an egg while she was separated so now I have no idea what her eggs look like.

View attachment 1150740

For you @KikisGirls

and for OP...the Silkie/Cochin eggs are about the same size as the smaller, young pullet eggs as seen in this chart of my breeding results. (The White egg is from my Cal Grey who lays a normal, large size egg).

Great chart! Care to translate the identifier used on it? lol

One of my Barred Rocks has been laying 2 - 3 weeks or so, another BR and an EE for about 1-1/2 weeks. All of the eggs look perfect, but are smaller than the grocery store large egg. Do you think the eggs will ever be larger, or will always stay about this size. I've got a Rhode Island Red in the nest box and really think she will lay today -- I can hear her out there whooping it up now. The rest of the RIR, BO and an EE are still workin' on it.

Great chart! Care to translate the identifier used on it? lol

One of my Barred Rocks has been laying 2 - 3 weeks or so, another BR and an EE for about 1-1/2 weeks. All of the eggs look perfect, but are smaller than the grocery store large egg. Do you think the eggs will ever be larger, or will always stay about this size. I've got a Rhode Island Red in the nest box and really think she will lay today -- I can hear her out there whooping it up now. The rest of the RIR, BO and an EE are still workin' on it.

First column is from my Splash Marans hen egg and the results of her being bred to my Barnevelder rooster. F1 is 1st generation. F2 is the egg results from the daughters of that line bred back to my Barnevelder (B) rooster.

Second column is my Isbar-Marans hen (hatched from breeder eggs) egg, then the results of her daughters which are half Isbar-Marans and Barnevelder. You can see the different color tones as the brown genes were reflected. One particular egg is a light blue on the inside which allows the darker Barnevelder coloring to show almost a gold olive...very pretty in person.

Last column is my first experiments trying to see what kind of genes my Barnevelder rooster had. I placed him over a Red Sex Link (actually a Gold Sex Link by store name) and produce a daughter who lays a very nice color.

Then I placed him over a California Grey hen who lays pure white. I got a very pretty peach which indicated he has nice gene color.

Last I put him over my Rhodebar hen who laid a cream color, but which I suspected had a brown inhibitor as this particular line still had fresh Rhode Island Red blood in it to boost productivity, yet were laying light cream. It proved true that their daughters lay a cream.

100_0709-jpg.1150740

Last edited:
I got a SQUATTER!! WAhoooo. Finally, feel like they are making some progress! 6.5 month old black australorp, she's been yelling her dang fool head off all day and is now squatting for me!

Woo hoo!

I wish the eggs came out w/ a little label so you knew who they belonged to. I thought I knew who was laying a certain egg, but apparently I was wrong. She was separated out for a few days and the egg still appeared, unfortunately she didn't lay an egg while she was separated so now I have no idea what her eggs look like.

Wouldn't that be awesome! I am just thankful they didn't all decide to lay at the same time or I would never know.

You can squirt some food coloring in her vent and the color will transfer to a few eggs. It doesn't last forever, just makes a few marks on the egg.

Have you actually tried this? Sounds interesting.

First column is from my Splash Marans hen bred egg and the results of her being bred to my Barnevelder rooster. F1 is 1st generation. F2 is the egg results from the daughters of that line bred back to my Barnevelder (B) rooster.

Second column is my Isbar-Marans hen (hatched from breeder eggs) egg, then the results of her daughters which are half Isbar-Marans and Barnevelder. You can see the different color tones as the brown genes were reflected. One particular egg is a light blue on the inside which allows the darker Barnevelder coloring to show almost a gold olive...very pretty in person.

Last column is my first experiments trying to see what kind of genes my Barnevelder rooster had. I placed him over a Red Sex Link (actually a Gold Sex Link by store name) and produce a daughter who lays a very nice color.

Then I placed him over a California Grey hen who lays pure white. I got a very pretty peach which indicated he has nice gene color.

Last I put him over my Rhodebar hen who laid a cream color, but which I suspected had a brown inhibitor as this particular line still had fresh Rhode Island Red blood in it to boost productivity, yet were laying light cream. It proved true that their daughters lay a cream.

100_0709-jpg.1150740

Thank you -- those are some very pretty eggs! Is an Isbar different from a Legbar? Hey, what do I know.......

An Isbar is a Scandinavian breed and very different from a Cream Legbar.

Isbar are not barred (not sure where the "bar" part comes from...probably something in the Scandinavian language).

Isbar are rare (so rare that I had trouble with inbreed lines and will not work forward with them).

They lay a beautiful rich sea green egg similar to the Legbar color.

I'm working with Cream Legbars now (with my sweet Barnevelder rooster). I hope to add Wheaten Ameraucanas in the near future.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom