Well yeah you can give her the whole thing, just the yolk has the most fat and nutrients. And by "nutty" i mean not eating as much just zoning out looking at nothing. Dosent happen to all of them laying just seems to really effect silkies mentally.
Thank you! Can I give her a whole chopped up egg? (running off to boil one right now!)

What do you mean by nutty? I mean, I know they can go broody...what else?

LOOK!!!! Ms. Bonnie finally gifted me with my first egg this afternoon!! And...she laid it in the nesting box!!! She is such a good girl!!

IMG_7767.JPG

Or maybe i learned from the favs! Lulu the "I'm never going to lay" queen still hasn't figured out she can't go through wire! Eveybody else on the roost and she's out there just repeatedly trying to go in where there isn't a door "actual door is maybe three chicken steps away". We are going on eight months of her going in and out that door twice a day and she's still not getting it. I love her, she's beautiful but i worry about that girl:)
Maybe from you is where your favs learned how to get lost? LOL!:wee

I'm so confused, lol.

Does two fingers = parallel parking? (cuz it's two parallel lines?)

And also, I thought (I'm probably totally off base here, but this is how my screwed-up mind works) that the quarter in the slot referred to the shape of said butthole after said hen started laying. Like, it's a slot instead of a hole. But now I'm thinking, maybe I'm backwards? Is it a slot shape first, and then a hole? Cuz an egg is round, so that makes more sense.

I swear to you all: They did not teach this in vet school. The most I got on chickens was a class where we all got a chicken, then learned to wring its neck, then dissected the still-warm chicken. I refused to kill my chicken. And if I did learn about butthole shapes, I was so traumatized by the whole thing that I immediately forgot it.
It was ALIVE?! That's horrible. My tiny human has been making sounds about wanting to be a vet. I have a feeling this would be a deal breaker for her.

LOOK!!!! Ms. Bonnie finally gifted me with my first egg this afternoon!! And...she laid it in the nesting box!!! She is such a good girl!!

View attachment 1189258
Congrats!

Good job Bonnie!!! :celebrate
It was ALIVE?! That's horrible. My tiny human has been making sounds about wanting to be a vet. I have a feeling this would be a deal breaker for her.

Congrats!
That's nothing, Apryl. Don't ask me about the "terminal surgeries" we had to do in junior year (no, you really don't want to know. And I was the only one in my class of 106 who refused to kill pefectly healthy lab-bred beagles under anesthesia, after breaking their legs and attempting ortho surgery on them. I was ostracized and had to do two extra rotations to make up for my ethical stance).

Vet school, and the veterinary profession in general, is hell. I would not recommend it to anyone I care about. Like I always tell people considering to enter that profession, it ain't all Animal Planet.

Well yeah you can give her the whole thing, just the yolk has the most fat and nutrients. And by "nutty" i mean not eating as much just zoning out looking at nothing. Dosent happen to all of them laying just seems to really effect silkies mentally.

Thank you sweet girl!!! I'm still learning, as this is my first time with chickens, and before May I didn't even know why some eggs were brown, and that you didn't need a rooster to get eggs. Duh!

She had a giant full crop when I went out there with the egg. I thought it was gonna explode. She is like a little voracious dinosaur, so I will give her more egg today and try to get her plumped up a bit. I like her much better now that she's an affectionate, skinny egg-layer rather than a fat scared fluff. But I am going to fatten her up. It's crazy how quickly they can lose body fat when they begin to lay!!!!

That's nothing, Apryl. Don't ask me about the "terminal surgeries" we had to do in junior year (no, you really don't want to know. And I was the only one in my class of 106 who refused to kill pefectly healthy lab-bred beagles under anesthesia, after breaking their legs and attempting ortho surgery on them. I was ostracized and had to do two extra rotations to make up for my ethical stance).

Vet school, and the veterinary profession in general, is hell. I would not recommend it to anyone I care about. Like I always tell people considering to enter that profession, it ain't all Animal Planet.
My mom dissuaded me from the vet route when I was a kid, using the euthanasia example -- she was probably very right. Hearing your abbreviated stories, that would have been the least of my issues it seems.

We have NO vets within 100 miles who specialize in chickens. There's a vet tech 60 miles away who grew up on a poultry farm, and that office will attempt to treat your chicken, but they charge you at the price for "exotic" animals. Pretty much if something is amiss with the hens, we're on our own. Maybe that's for the best.

Back
Top Bottom