I forgot to tell ya -- I am now nursing a baby squirrel. I found her late Monday night lying in a pool of muddy water. I think my dog probably scared the mama and she got dropped. I kept hearing it cry so finally investigated. She's doing really well and I'll release her once she's ready and the weather is okay. We're supposed to get snow tomorrow.

View attachment 1319627
photo taken late Monday night
View attachment 1319628
photo taken this afternoon

So cute! Good luck with the rehab and keep us posted please. :)

I forgot to tell ya -- I am now nursing a baby squirrel. I found her late Monday night lying in a pool of muddy water. I think my dog probably scared the mama and she got dropped. I kept hearing it cry so finally investigated. She's doing really well and I'll release her once she's ready and the weather is okay. We're supposed to get snow tomorrow.

View attachment 1319627
View attachment 1319628
I had a pet squirrel for 8 years. She was wonderful!

I will! She is just adorable. I love it when she nuzzles her little face against mine :)

One of the first rehab sites I looked at said to set their cage up with branches and twigs with lichen on them, leaves, hickory nuts, and that kind of stuff. I put newspaper down and then a thin layer of straw. I gave her a large branch she can climb on to a little platform with tissue box and food dish. Added branches and all kinds of things from the yard and sprinkled rabbit food, various nuts, dried cranberries and small bits of broccoli all over. Not sure she is actually eating much of it yet, but she tastes everything.

"I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?"

From Meet the Parents. Nursing the baby squirrel reminded me of that!

My ex-husband raised a baby squirrel successfully, when he was in high school, but set her free when she was "mature" and started chewing EVERYTHING in his room. She would still come to visit though.

Good luck -- she's beautiful! (like you don't have enough on your plate already, but honestly, what's one more?!)

"I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?"

From Meet the Parents. Nursing the baby squirrel reminded me of that!

My ex-husband raised a baby squirrel successfully, when he was in high school, but set her free when she was "mature" and started chewing EVERYTHING in his room. She would still come to visit though.

Good luck -- she's beautiful! (like you don't have enough on your plate already, but honestly, what's one more?!)

Yeah, I have a bit of trouble multitasking sometimes. When there are things that you "need" to do at certain times of day every day it makes it hard to do other things that you'd like to do. Oh well, at the end of the day it's worth it.

My tree trimmer has a couple that he raised after tree trimming. He says he waited too long to release them and now they won't leave. From what he said, now that they are adults they don't like being handled by but a couple of people.

I really want to let her loose as soon as it seems a good time. I think I'll make some little squirrel houses to hang in the trees, but I won't be putting them 30' high.... I just want her to have the opportunity to have her own little family. I didn't see and gray squirrels here until last year, and now we've got several plus the red squirrels.

Aww! How are you likeing those little claws lol! I raised two we found in the wall a boy and a girl. The boy was protective and would growl at hubs trying to touch his people tree, he'd also nurse on my earlobe that was a little scary.:)

View attachment 1319627
View attachment 1319628

Usually the grey squirrels take over the red squirrels territory and push them out.
:confused:
Oh geeze -- I hope not. I've got a lot of red squirrels. I want them all to stay.

Aww! How are you likeing those little claws lol! I raised two we found in the wall a boy and a girl. The boy was protective and would growl at hubs trying to touch his people tree, he'd also nurse on my earlobe that was a little scary.:)

They are pretty sharp and thin, but I haven't had her scratch me too much. I am mostly keeping her in her cage so that she can explore all the stuff in there and learn to be a squirrel. She does a lot of climbing and tasting/nibbling things.

I was worried she' get out of this (ferret) cage as the bars are pretty far apart. A friend of mine gave it to me to use as a brooder for the chicks.

Today I made her a little cup-like bed that's got thickly stuffed sides - she loved that and crawled right in for a nap when I gave it to her. Then I made a little hammock with fake sheepskin on one side so that she could be closer to the heater. OMG -- she went crazy for it and made lots of little grunts and rubbing her face all over it. Of course, she was hungry too so maybe thought it was mama.

IMG_0946.JPG

cuddled with a tiny sock monkey cat toy
IMG_0949.JPG

Back
Top Bottom