I'm new here & new to being a chicken mistress 😁 lol. I have a question about roos. I hope I'm posting in rite place ??

I have 2 large roos & (I thought) 2 hens. However we figured out yesterday that our barrack hen is actually another roo. We started with 8 chicks last spring & end up with 1 very small hen & 3 roos. 😔 We had some troubles with the 2 large barrack roos fighting last fall but after a time out (about a day apart) they are getting along & both healed up. I'm worried about the small hen (sitting on eggs rite now) & how 3 large roos is gonna work with her & chicks ??
What are barracks? Do you mean Barred Rocks?
You have to get rid of the roosters.

Pictures? Just want make sure you have the right breeds.
20201213_095757.jpg

This is the only pic on this phone. Sry

Oh no. 😞 They like my pets too. I kinda figured tho. There's no way we could just get some more hens ??

Yes, you could get more hens. But think first about how many chickens you want to have in total, and what size chicken pen you have or want to have. (And how much chicken food you want to buy.)

Another option is a bachelor coop--a place where only roosters live, with no hens at all. Sometimes that works well, sometimes not so well.

And every time chicks hatch, probably half of them will be males too. So you should probably make plans for what you will do with those.

I don't know what the right answer may be, so I'm just trying to point out some of the things you might need to consider.

For now, start by letting the hen and chicks have one pen to themselves, with no roosters in the pen with them. That will keep them safe while you figure out the rest of it.

Last edited:
I have a bachelor pad with 5 roos and it works out great, so that is a definite option. Of course, every chicken is different so yours may or may not work out as well as mine has. The boys can see the girls all day, and that hasn't seemed to cause any problems with mine.

Back
Top Bottom