I'm new here & new to being a chicken mistress 😁 lol. I have a question about roos. I hope I'm posting in rite place ??

Welcome! Yes, if you could do a bachelor pad, I'd try that first. If not, I'd say maybe get really as many hens as you can (preferably at least 5 hens per rooster, more would be better). I completely understand about the pet thing, as that's mainly why I keep chickens, but if you really had no other options it might be *sigh* best to rehome a rooster. I agree with others here- you'll need a plan for any future roosters that may hatch. A bachelor pad would probably be good for this.
Yes. I am prepared to re-home if necessary. I just wanted to see if we could keep them if it's possible. We will build a bachelor pad 4 them. They seem to get along so far. I'm keeping fingers crossed. 🙏😁

It is possible to have multiple roosters (you currently have cockerels), but it does help if you have a LOT of space. You will read about the rooster to hen ratio. Truly, there is no magic number. Some setups work well with breeding pairs or trios, others can have 1 rooster to 20 hens and still have one or two that are overbred and barebacked. I would separate all three of those boys or they will wear your hen to a frazzle once she's off those eggs. To show dominance, they will breed her, one after the other. She will not be able to eat, drink or dustbathe in peace. A bachelor coop would be helpful. If your eggs hatch, you need to be prepared for even more males. That has been addressed above, so I won't go into it.

Do you know how big (in feet by feet) your coop is? Coops that are advertised to hold a certain amount of chickens are often grossly exaggerated. Especially if it's a little prefab coop. Then you run into the trouble of bad habits that happen when chickens are over crowded. They will fight, pick feathers, sometimes end up cannibalizing a wounded one.

I have 2 large roos & (I thought) 2 hens. However we figured out yesterday that our barrack hen is actually another roo. We started with 8 chicks last spring & end up with 1 very small hen & 3 roos. 😔 We had some troubles with the 2 large barrack roos fighting last fall but after a time out (about a day apart) they are getting along & both healed up. I'm worried about the small hen (sitting on eggs rite now) & how 3 large roos is gonna work with her & chicks ??
I'd rehome 1, or 2 boys, & add more hens.

You mean Barred Rock?

Back
Top Bottom