I'm new to having chickens in my yard

Apr 13, 2018
Flowery branch , ga
I don't have to much money to buy a chicken coop . I've collected some pallets from a friend in a effort to make a chicken house but I really have no idea how to build one. I have 5 rooster and 4 hens that were hatched in my fenced in yard and now the mother is gone and they are about 3 or 4 months old . I don't even know if it's a good idea to keep so many roosters. Or what to do with them but they are beautiful.

I don't have to much money to buy a chicken coop . I've collected some pallets from a friend in a effort to make a chicken house but I really have no idea how to build one. I have 5 rooster and 4 hens that were hatched in my fenced in yard and now the mother is gone and they are about 3 or 4 months old . I don't even know if it's a good idea to keep so many roosters. Or what to do with them but they are beautiful.
I personally wouldn't keep that many roosters. With four hens I'd have one. Maybe someone else with more experience would say other wise though.

If you really want to keep all the cockerels you could build 2 coops/runs, and keep the excess boys in their own flock. Otherwise something like Craigslist, a for sale sign at a local feed shop, maybe a swap meet? are all options, but it's likely excess boys end up as someone's dinner.

There's a lot of coop builds here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/ many using pallets, so maybe you'll get inspired by someone's design? I'm no builder either, I paid someone to build me a shed.

Back
Top Bottom