I'm not even sure how I ended up with chickens.

Dave TBG

Chirping
Sep 8, 2019
Northern NJ
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
May 5th, it's not something I'd even considered until May 4th. I went to the store for an impact wrench and my wife and son saw the day-old chicks. I managed to get them out of there that day but spent the next 24 hours reading everything I could find to see if it was reasonable to think we could do it.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
One each, White Leghorn, Black Sex Link, Rhode Island Red and ISA Brown.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Learning something new and getting to know our little girls.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Boating, cars, coffee/espresso/home-roasting, beer (home brewing and checking out new breweries), watches, I have way too many hobbies.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have a 19 year old son, 2 dogs (Barley and Hops, both rescues) and a small Koi pond.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D See question 1. I really did spend about 18 out of 24 hours reading everything I could find, that included this site and I've been lurking ever since. I just realized today that I'd never registered here, so I did.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to come out of the shadows and join us!! :gig Would love to see some pics of your little flock! Are any of them laying eggs yet? Farm fresh eggs are amazing...you'll never go back to store bought!!
:ya:welcome:ya
I just added a photo to my profile, it's from when they first went outside in late June. I can't believe how much they've grown since then. I really don't have many pictures and none recent, I'll have to work on that. No eggs yet, but I opened up the nesting boxes a couple weeks ago and I'm checking every day. The Black Sex Link (Bea) has looked ready to lay for a while and the RIR (Nugget) has recently caught up. The ISA (Penelope) is a little further behind, her wattles are still a dull pink and the Leghorn (Petunia) is further still.

Last edited:
Does this count as a photo?

Attachments

• 2019_07_02_00_24_067.png
    2019_07_02_00_24_067.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom