I'm not sure what day I am on, how can I tell?

mom4morecritters

Songster
13 Years
May 4, 2008
Northern Minnesota
I've been thinking my eggs are due to hatch on the 24th, but after turning them earlier tonight and noticing 2 bantam eggs rocking a little I had to rethink my due date.

I never thought I'd get messed up on what I was doing, but I did! I had my first hatch due on Feb 28th and my second due on March 7th. Because I didn't space the 1st and 2nd hatching's apart very much, I made a 'bator out of a cardboard box for #2 to hang out in while #1 hatched. It worked fine. After my first batch hatched and I cleaned it all up I stuck batch #2 in the 'bator that were due on March 7th. I'm guessing I put them in the 'bator on March 3rd. Anyway, I think I may have started more eggs in the cardboard 'bator before I took batch #2 out to put in the "real" 'bator, but I can't remember for sure.

Confused yet? How do you think I feel?!
roll.png

If I am wrong and the first eggs are due to hatch TOMORROW, and not in 4 days, what should I do RIGHT NOW?! I candled them earlier today and there are a few that look "full", but there is still around 8 that have some "space" them (from little to 1/3). Do I crank up the humidity now, or wait another day or two?

Please help this confused and memory-challenged woman!

hmm.png

First you put all your due dates into your sig like down below...
tongue.png
When that fails you look up the thread where you probably posted that you got new eggs. If you don't live on the forums enough for that I would raise humidity now cause 4 days is early enough. I had to leave for 3 days starting on day 17 and just stopped turning and raised humidity then. One of my best hatches from shipped eggs. No harm to it. However if some have a lot more space than others then some are ahead for one reason or another. Maybe you set them at different times?

Quote:
LOL! I wouldn't have room in my sig for due dates!
tongue.png
Actually, I did look up a thread or two where I posted about my first batch, so I was able to figure out, a little, from there what date I was probably on. (Good idea)

The eggs are from our chickens, so I wouldn't have any delivery information. I took a few out to the hen house last night. Our Black Australorp has been sitting on eggs and one hatched yesterday morning, so I figured I see if she could hatch a few that I started!

I walked into the hen house to find Nighting Gail and her first chick hanging out together! So cute!

P3200099.jpg

Here is what was happening UNDERNEATH her while I was taking the first photo!

P3200102.jpg

Two fuzzy butts! YEAH! I'm on my way back out to the hen house right now to see if anything new is going on. Then I'm going to raise the humidity in my 'bator and see if anything happens in the next few days!

~A

Back
Top Bottom