I'm not trying to be difficult...

Kristina93

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Southern California
but my dear husband, who volunteered to build the coop to MY specifications, just doesn't listen sometimes.

What part of this is not clear? "I'm doing the deep litter method of coop maintenance. I need a 4-6" lip around all edges and around the hole you cut for the ladder." Never mind that the hole is twice as big as it needs to be.

He makes this pretty little cut for an edge to the hole, which still leaves at least 8" of it completely open to below, and about half of it is all of 1-2" tall.

I've explained the DLM to him multiple times. He says he gets it, but then does this. And this is NOT the first thing he's done that is contradictive to DLM. He wanted to make the pop door at the base level. When I told him it was supposed to be at LEAST 4" taller than the base, he couldn't understand why.

I finally got him to understand. I think. I told him: "If you have a 4" lip all the way around, we can do a full coop clean out only once or twice a year. Without it, you have to clean it out every 2-3 weeks. Think about it hon. 2 times a year, or 24 times a year. Which sounds better???"

Please give me patience and strength to help me help him understand.

...between all this... I really wish I could be out there helping him on the step by step process... but I have a 2 year old, a 10 month old, and another on the way. I can just do occasional checks... but I guess they need to be more than every hour and a half or so... 'cause that's how long it took him to cut and build and install the pretty cut edge. Ugh.

When I was a kid we used to say:

Patience is a virtue
possess it if you can;
It's found seldom in a woman
and never in a man!

It always comes back to me when stuff like this happens. Of course it doesn't help but it does make me smile.

Bless his heart. Now take a DEEP breath.
love.gif

I agree with BWKatz then give him a big hug and tell him how much you appreciate all of his hard work. Then ask him what he thinks about changing it to what you really wanted
wink.png

ok, I'm a guy and I think I can help. Men and children are really the same. (I taught kindergarten for several years.) You've got to present your plan then you have to present a concern about the plan then you've got to let him "fix" the concern then he will think he came up with the plan and all will work out EXACTLY how you had planned. You of course, must completely rid yourself of an ego but alas, he will have one big enough for both of you. LOL Trust me... And before it is said, I'm not a trader to my sex here rather, a diplomat to yours. ROFL
lol.png

DAve

rotf! I was nice and very nicely asked him how the shavings were going to stay on the top level... He looked at me, and then realized what he did.

I also apologized for 'my' mistake of not reminding him eariler.

speaking of which... I've left him on his own for an hour now... Time to go check on things again.

I think you should tell him that you'll just run some duct tape at the bottom when he is done to keep the litter in. He will imagine how bad this will look and then put the appropriate boards up instead... as long as it's his idea you know.................
big_smile.png

GAH!!! The bottom roost is in front where the door opens. I now have all of about 4" to work with for cleaning the coop out later on... and he refuses to move it... AAAAUUUGHHH!!!! Guess who will be stealing the cordless drill and doing it herself later on??? I love my husband. I really do. But he's made this coop more work than it had to be, and now when I have certain specifications, such as ROOM to clean it out later... he gets all pissy with me. GAH!

Breathe....
count to 10... make that 20... 30, 40.... ah forget it.

On my way to grab the drill myself.

I say that if it was my husband I would just be glad that he was willing to help at all. Many a woman at byc has probably built and maintained her coop all by herself. I know I did. The only thing that my DH does is carry the bag of feed from the car to the bin in the coop that I built to hold the food. It is my own fault by the way since I have a thing about making plans and wanting them followed to a T. When
ever I do just slow down and let him present his ideas I find that he isn't so dumb after all! Just appreciate his willingness. Someday your children will be grown and you will have lots of time to do those kind of things your way.

Back
Top Bottom