im ready too eat this duck!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I have a big rouen drake that is ready for the table, but I need recipe first. Anyone got any that they are willing too share?

Not really but I can tell you how I like it cooked.

First way (that I have actually done myself) is to take boneless skinless breasts and marinade them in something like Dale's, soy sauce or teriyaki sauce. Grill them on a hot charcoal fire until medium rare, let stand a few minutes and slice very thinly.

Second way that I have eaten in restaurants but never actually done myself so I'm kind of guessing. Cut the duck into quarters leaving the skin on. Steam in a basket until the meat is tender and most of the fat rendered off. At this point I think the restaurants keep them in a cooler until ordered. Take the cooled duck quarters and brown them off in a screaming hot pan.

One of the best meals I've ever had was a risotto made with duck stock and tender well cooked meat like my second way and then topped with thin slices of rare breast.

I need to come up with a plan to raise 3-5 ducks to eat. My wife doesn't like it so there is no need for more than that.

After reading my post to this point I should delete it and just say "ducks are tasty".

Anyway, good luck and please tell us what you end up doing, with pictures if possible.

This is how I make my duck... and you'll see why!

1 Fresh Ready to Cook Duck
2 Red Johnathon Apples Cored & Quartered
2 Medium Onions Peeled & Quartered
1 Tbsp EVOO
4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper

Toss Apples & Onions in 1/2 Tbsp EVOO 1 Tsp salt & 1/4 tsp black pepper in a bowl. Use to stuff the duck along with the Thyme & Bay leaves. Take a sharp knife and my criss cross thatches in the skin. Rub down the skin of the duck with the rest of the EVOO and cover with remaining salt and pepper. Place in a roasting pan slightly raised so the fat can drain away. If you want to put in some roasting potatoes put them in the bottom of the roaster so they cook in the dripping duck far. Roast at 375 until meat reads 150 degrees. Turn heat up to 450 until 165 degrees is reached internal temp. (That last part really finishes the skin nicely for me.)

Serve duck with the apples and onions over rice or as your side!

Apples in duck fat is my FAVORITE... I don't care how not good for you it is.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom