I'm serious... I want to make winter hats for my chickens

So weird I should have read about something like this but by covering their wattles, you may confuse your girls on who is exactly who. I'll let you decide if it has any merit but the blog post cites a prior study.

http://scratchandpeck.blogspot.com/2010/05/same-only-different.html

excerpt from the post:
"
In Sy Montgomery's new book, Birdology,
she talks about a study that was conducted to see how chickens tell each other apart.

Scientists took a flock of chickens of a single breed and painted their feathers different colors, and the chickens still recognized their friends and flockmates.

But then they put little hats over their combs, and the chickens couldn't figure out who was who.
"
Might be fun to do anyway, lol.

Quote:
I have a Conure that I tried to get to wear a flight suit. (Poop control) I first put it on her when she was only three months, so I know she was young enough to adapt...

But let me just say, that there is nothing sadder than a dejected bird wearing some crazy outfit...

Or meaner than a ticked off bird who realizes you put her into the sad position!

I took one on the baby socks and cut a beak hole and two eye holes in it and put it over our roo's head on really cold nights. I did it after he was up on the roost with the girls. Yes, they did look at him funny and he looked very uncool but his comb never got frostbite. I did take it off in the am when I went out to open their door. He would always stay on his roost until I took it off. Plus it will really, really give you a good laugh and we all need that!
lau.gif

Quote:
*snort*

Yesterday, I ALMOST bought Halloween costumes for my two dachshunds, even had the costumes in the cart with me all the way up to the check stand. (I just had to hold onto them, imagining I was going to buy them.) The smaller one was a full "hot dog with mustard, in bun" suit and the larger one was a bumblebee outfit.

But now I'm considering buying baby socks and cutting holes in them.... NINJA ROO!

Last edited:
I've been thinking of knitting a little bonnet for my minorca. (she was supposed to be an australorp) Her comb is so big, floppy, and pretty. We thought she might have been a roo until she laid an egg. There are a lot of ramifications though, how do you keep it on? she likes to flop it around. How do I knit something that she can flop, but no throw off? and how do I keep the other girls from attacking it? All issues to ponder. I may try that vaseline trick, but I can just see an afro of wood shavings sticking to it
big_smile.png

Mikki717
lol.png
I was thinking more on the lines of what they make for featherless parrots. African greys and cockatoos lose feathers because they have to live with neurotic humans
tongue.png
My Aunt lived in Florida raised several different kinds of parrots 50 odd yrs ago. I just remember their sweaters and shirts!
ep.gif

Just reading the title of this thread made me
gig.gif

I put a saddle on one of my poor hens once and my rooster chased her around like she was an intruder. Can't imagine his reaction to a hat!

Back
Top Bottom