I'm Shocked By Pine Shaving Cost!! Or Am I Just "Cheep"?

We pay $5.99 for a 3.2 sq ft bale, depends on the trucking costs. Was down by 50 cents today.
Reported shortages as shavings and sawdust are being used to make compressed wood pellets for stoves.
That's why I spot-clean rather than use the deep-litter method. I take out about 2-2.5 pounds of manure daily from the platforms and roosts to save bedding.

Last edited:
Just bought a dump truck load from the local guy that does chicken houses, real chicken houses, the 40'x500' type. I bought 5 scoops @17.50 per scoop for $87.50. I have a '77 GMC dump truck with a 7'x14'x4' bed that was rounded up.

This will be enough to kid our 18 Boer goats ( www.hillboergoats.com ) and do the new 10'x16' chicken coup.

I was appalled @ $8.00 for the bag that I bought to go in my brooder at Southern States. So I made a run to the "litter man".
big_smile.png

I have a friend that has Thoroughbred horses and he buys from the same guy. He has his shavings delivered in an 18 wheeler that the "litter man" owns. They auger them into his shaving room in his barn. He's got a huge operation though.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom