I'm sick and tired of the "bully" stereotype

and that's exactly why breed specific legislation (i.e. city ordinances, insurance exclusions or sky-high premiums for certain breeds) is so unfair.
sad.png

I can't wait ot see pics of your killing machine!! I'm a huge believe in the nurture vs nature with most dogs! You should be proud that you raised them to be such wonderful dogs!

WOW - shield my eyes - a killer cutie! (I do not see much bully in him - sorry - I see heeler or border collie - but what do I know.)

While we have never owned a pit - I have know many - and not a one would I use as a guard dog
big_smile.png
just too loving. Unless your master plan was for the thief to trip over the dog, who would most probably be on his back with belly in the air asking for a rub, and once the thief tripped/fell hit his head - course then the dog might like the thief to death.

We have 2 mastiffs, a blue heeler and a border collie. It amazes me the people who are wary of the heeler (he is 14, has one eye and is blind in it) but think the 145 pound, slober flying, nasty barking - come closer one bite and your gone - Mastiff likes them.

Blue is a beautiful boy! I love him
love.gif

I agree he doesn't look 100% bully, more like 1/2. His head shape reminds me of a doberman or greyhound long and narrow like that.
wink.png
No where near the bully short muzzle, blocky head.

Quote:
A lot of the ADBA dogs look like that. I have seen their confirmation competitions and please believe me, they are pure bred bulls and just look a bit different.

Something everybody can do to help protect bull breeds or any other dog breed that is the target of unfair breed specific legislation is to join the NATIONAL BREED CLUB and help work against these unfair laws targeting certain breeds.

I really don't have anything against generic dog legislation because it effects all breeds equally. Breed specific dog laws will take away and kill all of our bull breeds if we are not careful. It has already started.

It will also take away and annihalate many other breeds. Everyone needs to be aware that our rights as animal owners, not just chicken owners, are in danger from a variety of organizations and law making bodies. Step up to the plate to make sure we don't lose our dogs! www.amstaff.org

No club or organization is perfect, but if you love the breed, make the step! All bull breed organizations need active, caring members to help combat unfair BSL.

Last edited:
i'm one of the other people that says that dog is not full pit bull. Does not have the head - not of any type of Pit Bull, and having worked downtown and on the west side too, I've seen all the Pit Bull types they is.

THAT SAID, people like to think in stereotypes, it uses less brain cells. Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? That's a good example of where that type of thinking will get us in a short time.

You know the old story, about the guy from FEURBUSH GEORGIA, and he has a hare lip and his beatiful wife has the reputation for being the town tramp? The guy's friend confonts him and says, 'Your wife has slept with every man in FEURBUSH!'

And he says, 'Well, FEURBUSH ain't such a big town'.

And what that means is, when someone tells you he's a bull dog or a pit and to get rid of him, you squint at him, tip your head around and take your time, squint real hard, and say, 'Welll.....he ain't got much pit in him'.

It really upsets me how much the media has overplayed the "bully dog" stereotype and how much people have bought into that stereotype. I've met so many so-called "bully dogs" that were just the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet. It breaks my heart to see so many of them are filling up the shelters just because people assume they're dangerous when in fact the vast majority of them are not. (And that people continue breeding them so much that they do fill up the shelters, sigh.) I was helping at a local rescue group's puppy adoptions, and it took one of the puppies such a long time to find a home just because he had that pit bull look to him. He was the mellowest little guy ever, and spent most of his time curled up in my lap! Vicious my butt. He was one of the best-behaved puppies I've met.

I hope you help use your dogs as an example of how good bully dogs can be.
smile.png
When someone says something about them being mean or dangerous, instead of getting mad perhaps take the time to show them that the stereotype is not generally true.

Anyway, I understand your frustration. It frustrates me, too.

Is there a stastic chart somewhere..(an up to date one..)
That says what dog breeds have the most bites.. and what breeds have the most fatal attacks....
Just wondering..
But i bet the bully isnt at the top of that list...
wink.png

The dog at the top of that list of bite statistics is a very popular, widespread dog breed, if I remember right.

Why? Because there are a lot of them.

The number of dog fatalities and severe attacks, is heavily on the side of the pit breeds, or so I'm told.

Why? The pit dogs are the most popular among dog fighters - THAT is why they are legislated. They are also the most popular dogs for guarding drug houses. They are taught to bite anyone who walks in the house.

I've seen dogs that were 'Agitation Trained' for guarding like that. Basically, they are tortured until they bite, and they then are given food. They are so messed up in the head, I don't think I've ever seen a more mentally messed up dog than the 'Agitation Trained' ones.

And no. I don't agree with the pit dog laws - but what else can they do? You can outlaw fights, but they are still so ineffective in controlling dog fighting.

Statistics on dog bites include ALL bites - from little nips to serious attacks. Probably, the little nips are very, very different from the serious, disfiguring attacks and near fatalities, but all are jumbled in together in statistics. Too, statistics aren't easy to collect or to evaluate and interpret, because some dog breeds are very popular in one area and not seen in another(this can even be neighborhood). Many dogs are not registered or licensed, and other's breed is not known.

I think half of all dog bites occur on the owner's property. I think there are about 30 dog fatalities a year in the US.

Dogs that are trained to fight are much more likely to be involved in an attack. Unsupervised children are more likely to be attacked. One of the largest groups of fatalities is two year old children.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom