Im so confused on what to do!

Quote:
who???

The OP

ooh i dont know..i think that she is just confused on which way to go... but honestly, either school will offer her a real diploma and she'll be fine. And then she can choose a college from there... she just has to pass the MCAS testing up here to get her diploma.(no matter which school she chooses) .. which is hard for alot of kids..

It's not just about the diploma. It's about whether or not the college preparatory prerequisites are taught at the tech school. Do they offer foreign language? Now if the op wants to go to community college she can just get her diploma and take the exam at the cc. But that would mean the op would probably take some low level classes at first in the cc. As good as the tech school sounds it may limit getting the education needed to get into a university after high school and just because right now the op feels that academics are crap doesn't mean that two years into high school she may change her mind. Also are the language arts classes at the tech school good enough to prepare her to go to a cc. You really do need to learn the art of writing (term papers, creative writing) and learn good study skills (preparing for tests and midterms) before even going to a cc.

Is there the option of going to the academic school for the first two or three years then transferring into the tech school?

Last edited:
Yes, they have academic classes also..languages, college courses.. etc...
Its a combo of academic AND a trade. They get the same classes that a regular school does... the kids have the SAME college options that the local high school does.
You dont just go there to take a trade..its actually a school.. I believe i went over this already though... *sigh*

Okay so where do they find the hours to offer trade courses in addition to the academic ones? Do they have longer hours/more periods? Somehow I doubt that--what is exchanged for the tech courses?

Also, what are the state college entrance requirements as far as coursework? Does the tech school meet those requirements, not just the required courses to receive a diploma? Yes, a diploma is needed to attend college, but it is usually not sufficient in and of itself: coursework, grades and ACT or SAT score are all part of college entrance requirements.

My son's high school has made it very clear that minimum high school graduation requirements do NOT meet college entrance requirements--you need to be on a college prepartory track to meet college entrance coursework prerequisites, and if you are interested in a top tier school (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, etc.) the prerequisites are even higher.

never mind...
th.gif

Last edited:
Ok first off Im a boy not a girl...........the tech here does it on and off a week of learning my trade a week of academic,I can learn spanish if I want too and I have a choice but im deciding I will since its not that bad..in the 10th grade they can even give me a job so I can go to the place and work there and earn extra money which I think is pretty cool.I didnt mean academic as crap but its pretty boring especially learning about metals and stuff in science and algebra.

I don't see how the academics are not slighted if the total class hours are the same. They either must cover less academic material, expect you to spend more time learning outside of class or have longer hours. Can't have it all--something has to give. You need to know what that something is.

Back
Top Bottom