Im so confused.....Would a rooster try to mount another rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lobzi, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this a way of showing dominance? Roo has always been after Chickie. I just learned Chickie is most likely a rooster....so Im wondering. Chickie has never tried to mount Roo and instead flees from him when he tries. Chickie is much faster so she usually gets away. The other day she was trapped in the pen when they first got off the roost and so Roo was successful catching her in the corner. Any ideas what is going on here??????????

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I have some young EEs who are pretty indiscriminate about who they mount. I think it's just puberty.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Dominance, desperation, confusion or just plan ole teenager hormones.

Some roosters will pretty much go after anything that doesn't escape. Others are very, very laid back and submissive.

That's how I have two roosters living in harmony - first they have plenty of girls to go around, and secondly, one is a silkie - very laid back and not the least aggressive, and the other is a standard australorp. He's not aggressive either, but definately more so than Dusky.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My roos mount each other ALL the time except for Nugget and Blue. The others even go after the ducks or Pudster,,, Pudster doesn't think much of being woken up by an amorous rooster....

5. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks all....

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I had a female dog that would mount other females. Animal nature is indiscriminant.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is an act of dominance.

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yep. Dominance. One of our chicks wants to mount everyone else.He(?) also is the first to any treats(though he doesnt chase others off) and always in the forefront.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by