I'm SO full of shame right now...

Great story! My husband's job is to remind me that I'm playing a dangerous game of Chicken Math (I started last night...just two more silkie's 'cos the bantam cochins are lonely...)
tongue.png
I love your story - cheered me right up.

My boyfriend would go with me...he'd act all big and bad and "no" on the way....then...first animal he see's......he's a gushing little boy and I jump right in. The day is then -OVER-
>_<
We aren't allowed at the animal shelter...or the fair....or anywhere!

I love Coco! That is such an adorable picture! They are all cute of course, but that face on her >_<

Quote:
Beware, ducks are messy! And they "hate" you if you don't spend a lot of time holding them and giving them treats as babies. Totally different than chickens. They use about 3 times as much water as chickens and insist on throwing it everywhere. I had to redesign their side of the coop, and buy 2 tons of gravel to fill the run. My older babies are so suspicious of me but are coming around with increased attention.

These new little call ducks though are coming along nicely since the Hamburg girls are so friendly. They've been a lot of fun! I set the Maran eggs today. I hope day 14 brings good news when I candle. I'm going to candle a lot less than I normally do and really watch my p's and q's in hopes of success. I set them up in the basement where I have the most stable room temperature.

I can only imagine how this would have gone if we actually had 10 acres or better. We really did just get everything built and done and exactly the way I wanted it. Figures I had to go and buy stuff and insist on a grow-out brooder done rabbit hutch style for these new babies, then the Marans, then the ducks. Oh, and another brooder for the ducks. I keep forgetting they'll be here soon.
lol.png

Then a selling spree, I guess.

I'm really going to watch that super dark egg, darkest one I've ever seen in person. Darker than what my girls lay! Mine are like the rest in that batch. But that one... that will be one nice rooster to have if it's a boy. If it's a hen, you'd need a rooster carrying that same color to go with her to keep that color going. I'm going to band the leg of the chick that comes out of it to keep track of it. And keep the shell. I'll set that one into a tray for lockdown and leave the rest loose. Supposing it makes it that far. And they're Wheaten! I love that color on any bird.

Back
Top Bottom