I'm SO full of shame right now...

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Really I should know better, I really should. But I have rationalized the situation to make myself feel better about this bird math thing. Yesterday we went up to this large flea market, and nothing was happening. Pretty dead for a nice Saturday morning. I heard two old men griping about it, blaming the bigger Lucasville, OH show on the poor turn out. I had wanted to go to Lucasville, but never kept track of when it was. I asked them if it was going on that day. Yep, sure was. So husband and I hopped in the car and drove 2 hours. I was panicking about it closing at 5, and us not getting there till 1, and telling my husband all I had heard about it, about all the animals. Reminding him of everything he's supposed to remind me of when I'm getting all excited about a purchase. He's my wingman for stuff like this.

I shouldn't have gone at all. I have all I want, and the last little bit of ducklings coming in the mail at the end of the month. I don't need anymore. Really I just wanted to look and see what all the fuss was about. Really, that's all.

But my husband is as bad as I am apparently!! Can't take either of us anywhere, and those sellers don't help, offering solutions to our bickering... "You don't have to buy the Banty hen too, just take the two ducklings". I'll get to that story in a minute.

So we get to this place, and it spreads over the horizon when you drive over this small hill. As far as the eye can see, cars, trucks, tents, on and on. You start walking, and if the smell doesn't get you first, the sound does. Crying puppies, piglets, peepers everywhere. Crowing back and forth. Intermixed with typical flea market booths and lemonaide stands.

Cages everywhere! Some sad sights but mostly pretty well managed. Way too many puppies. You don't even know where to look. I passed by some Saxony ducks since I have those getting shipped to me. The male looked a little sad anyways, but it might have been the heat. Passed by some green egg layers, but that was a nice shade of green on display above them.

Then I saw some Silver Spangled Hamburg chicks, and I've had my eye on them for awhile. I spotted two girls in the mix, and grabbed them up. Bought this ridiculous little red barn type cage to put them in. I didn't bring a cage, I was only going to look. I feel better, having something in my hands to carry around. Haha. And they were alert and clean, and friendly on top of it. Someone has handled them a lot. Most likely Amish kids where they came from.

On and on we go, stopping in shaded areas to feed the chicks grass and give them water out of this little gold ashtray I bought for $1 for that purpose.

Spent about 20 minutes bickering with my husband about why a goat is a bad idea and giving the seller the stink eye for trying to tell him otherwise. I saw exactly 3 goats I would take home if we had a place for them. But someone had to be the realistic one, and it's hilarious that it was me.

Then I spot this gorgeous little banty hen with two tiny call ducklings. I wanted that whole set BAD, it as just too cute. So we're in this booth, and I'm telling husband I need something that will set and go broody, none of my girls will. He said NO bantam hens, eggs are too little, and they can't hold very many big duck eggs under them. The seller chimes in and says I can have just the ducklings. Ok, done. Tossed them in the the Hamburgs. They gave the funniest look about it too, then accepted them. One white, one chocolate. I swear, they're the cutest things I've ever seen.

Earlier we saw Wheaten Maran hatching eggs for $40 a dozen. I off handedly said, That's a good deal, and they've not been shipped. I bet I'd get a better hatch from them. Later on a second pass, they were $20 per dozen. I jabbed husband in the ribs and pointed it out, but we kept going. On our way back to the car, we stopped at the booth with the Maran eggs and talked about it. Walked away with 2 dozen for $25. They had been in a shaded area, I wouldn't have bothered if they had been exposed to sun. I'll set them today and see what happens.

So all in all, considering, I only came home with 4 more birds and two dozen eggs. Not bad, considering the sheer amount available. But I kept a firm hold on myself, as best I could. I only bought babies, so they can be quarantined in the brooder for a month before sanitizing it and using it for the Marans, if any hatch. I'll have to make other arrangements for the baby ducks coming.

Photos, of course....

Group shot, though the Hamburgs can't sit still long enough for a good one.. Hamburgs I'm calling Greta and Olga.

P1050490.jpg

Coco (hope they're both girls! Or one of each)

P1050498.jpg

Snowball..

P1050499.jpg

The eggs..

P1050500.jpg

This one is especially nice... I'll be keeping a close eye on what comes out of it, if anything.

P1050487.jpg

I had this big plan to sell Maran chicks from eggs I bought, but only got 2 pullets from 2 dozen and kept them both. So this time... I have no expectations. Whatever happens. My husband must have remembered my cursing the post office gods and he bought me these in hopes they do better. He spoils me rotten.

Last edited:
Oh my, I have a soul sister in Ohio.
I wish my computer would allow me to open photobucket. I miss so much on this site because of it.
So you were the voice of reason with the goats, eh?
I was lucky my husband came home from a blacksmith meeting without geese. I was lucky I missed that entire smithy and chicken show.

I loved reading about your day. It was entertaining!
Thanks for typing it up!
Good luck with the new additions.

At least you have a solid quarantine plan. I'd call that a controlled splurge! Nicely Done!
thumbsup.gif

Oh no, had to read this post, I'm in southeastern Ohio, didn't know about Lucasville flea market. Been to Ceasar Creek, but we are usually going out on the boat then, and I just got chicks this year. I want some pigmy goats. Now I can maybe plan a trip this fall. Bad thing is my husband rarely says no, I think I best not go til we are ready to buy. Thanks for entertaining post, and maybe I'll see you there!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom