I'm so tired of dog problems!!!

I've had to deal with chicken killing dogs many times over the years. I don't always shoot. I once went to run off a dog that was killing my chickens and it was friendly and proud of it's kill. It allowed me to catch him and the collar had a phone number on it. I called and it was a neighbor that I hadn't met yet, he said he'd be right over to reclaim his dog. He came over on his ATV with his 9 year old son to find his dog tied up in my front yard next to a pile of dead chickens-----priceless! He apologized and offered to pay for the chickens, I said that wasn't necessary this time and mentioned that I've had to shoot dogs in the past and please try not to let his dogs run loose again. He's been good for his word and I haven't had a problem with his dogs since and we've maintained cordial relationship since.
Once I caught a strange dog running my chicken run fence trying to get into the chickens, I was able to catch him and I drew targets on his sides and pasted those orange bullseyes on the targets and one between his eyes with a strong glue that stuck really good. After chasing that dog off I never saw it again.
Other then that the hardest part about shooting a dog is the shovel work afterwards, so sometimes instead of SSS, its SSATITW. Shoot, Shutup, And, Toss, In, The, Weeds.

That I do understand and concur wholeheartly. My point is if a dog or any other animals kills and animal or fowl on my property that threshwhole of being warned has been pased, and there is no return. The killer will be eliminated on the spot. But if no harm has come to my animals then the paint ball sends a mighty strong message to the owner on what I could have done and next time, if something isn't done by you the owner, the dog won't be coming home if I see him again.

I love it.

Quote:
Not if you're defending livestock (under most state laws).

Glad to hear it! I don't know, nor do I care, what the classification is where I live. I WILL be using my paintgun to let the neighbors know their dog has been somewhere it shouldn't be.
Last time I was "visited" by one of my neighbors dogs, I tried for 10 mins. to "shoo" it away. Yelling at it, telling it to go home. Throwing sticks, yelling more, nothing helped. Now I have a paintgun to "shoo" it away.
wink.png

Paintball or bebe guns are considered cruelty and you can be prosecuted for it in mist places. Why? Because you are knowingly shooting it with no intent to kill. The law allows for deadly force, but not to simply harm the animal.

Quote:
Yeah, my brother did the warning shot thing with a pitbull once and it CHARGED at him. He ended up having to use a kill shot. I hate to use deadly force on an animal, but if they have had several warnings, there comes a time when that becomes your only option. I have a pistol that shoots plastic BB's and it will not puncture from the distance I shoot it. It will scare most dogs, sometimes even if they aren't hit with one. So far, I've never had to use my shotgun. We have really great neighbors and any time there has been a problem, everyone is willing to do what it takes to resolve it. Good luck!

Quote:
I can understand your frustration - but you posted this on a public forum. IMHO, you're asking for feedback, which is what you're getting. Choose to act, or not to act, since you're moving. We all deal with irresponsible pet owners, predators, etc. in our efforts to raise our fowl. If you choose to do nothing, it's up to you. I hope you don't have to deal with the same issues where you're moving.

Quote:
I don't think any of what you said about your neighbors shows that they have any problem solving skills. Its a real shame that their dog had to pay the ultimate price because everyone (including the dad, IMO) was irresponsible and lazy. In fact, it seems to me that the dog was "set up" to take the fall in order to teach some sort of "life lesson".

Last edited:
Quote:
AWESOME! I think it was very good of you to give the dog and his owner a first offense:) Loose dogs can sometimes be a complete accident.

Back
Top Bottom