I'm soooooo bummed out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcbosco1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. tcbosco1

tcbosco1 Out Of The Brooder

I've been waiting all summer for my Easter Egger to lay a blue egg. Today she finally laid her first egg...and it was white! : (

Three years ago I mail-ordered a day old easter egger (along with a RIR, a silkie and a dominique). After waiting what seemed forever, it turned out that my EE was really a barred Plymouth Rock!

I guess the Universe doesn't want me to have blue eggs!

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

lol, sooo sorry to hear, but your post is so sad it's funny. I'm with ya, I got a couple that are 7 months old and still nothing!!!!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you want a guaranteed blue egg, then if you have an incubator, you can hatch pure Ameraucana's from one of the breeders here. (or Araucana's) EE's are a crap shoot on what color egg you are going to get. (mine lays green)

So sorry you didn't get the blue you were hoping for.

4. tcbosco1

I would have been happy with green...even pink, but white???!!!! C'mon!!!!!!!

I guess it could be worse (it could be raining...or a boring brown egg)

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Brown doesn't have to be boring.....................and look how pretty a white egg looks next to them.

[​IMG]

6. tcbosco1

It was not my intention to offend those brown and white egg layers out there!

I do have two ladies that lay brown eggs (and yes, they are different "browns") and one that lays white eggs, and I have been very pleased (even though one of the brown egg layers, again, was supposed to be a blue egg layer). It just seems that my despite all my efforts to get a blue/green egg, I am destined for grocery store colors!

I'll get over it, as I love the girls more than the color of their eggs. In fact, Chickie-boom-bahts, the EE who turned into a Barred Plymouth Rock is one of my favorites!

I would go the incubator route except that we are not zoned for roosters, and, well, you can see the kind of luck I have!

Also, the backyard chicken condo is full to capacity!

Perhaps I'll try again in a few years...

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I likes brown eggs .

8. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Maybe her "paint gun" isn't fully functional yet...I would give it some time and see if it changes... [​IMG]

9. tcbosco1

I'm pretty sure you're kidding, but I will admit part of me is wondering, "can that happen"? Is it possible they will color-up with time?

10. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    With mine, sometimes they have darker spots, sometimes not....sometimes there are white spots, sometimes not...they have just started laying within the last two weeks...I think they just need some time to work out the kinks, being newbies to the whole egg laying thing [​IMG] I do not have any EEs, so I get different shades of brown eggs...though my NHs lay a very light tan egg, that in certain light almost looks pink - very pretty [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA picture.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by