I'm sooooooo disappointed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BillT, Nov 15, 2010.

1. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    In early June I received 26 pulletts from McMurray Hatcheries. They were supposed to be the Rainbow Layers Selection.
    Two were roos which is not the problem. They have all started to lay except three. ALL of the eggs are either white or brown.
    I don't think I will ever order a group like that again. I guess I'll have to pay a lot more to order each different breed to get to color eggs I want. It is disappointing. To their credit, I called McMurray and told them the problem and they did credit my account back for half the order.
    They are a good company, I just wanted different color eggs.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Bill

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    chances are the 2 that haven't started laying are going to be the ee's they seem to lay later, doesn't mean they will be green eggs though, sorry for your disappointment, you should put all your eggs in a basket and take a picture or egg cartons so we can see, chances are though you only see brown and white there are probably lots of shades, unless of course you have 2 different breeds of chicken then your shades wont be too drastic.

3. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    my ee's started laying before my Delawares and my BO.
    They don't just lay green eggs.. I have them that lay green, blue, brown, and cream

4. coldinnh

coldinnh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    NH
    which problem - the McMurray "rainbow" being only white or brown? Or some late layers?
    I should be getting 15 (8 white/7 brown) eggs a days but usually get 9-10 (I did find two hiding places this weekend/tonight) so maybe I am getting more. I think that in the mixed flocks there some who lay much later than others. I am unsure if my Wyns, Andulasian and Minorca are laying yet. (Haven't caught them in the nest box)
    I also got a roo from McMurray (which my husband accounts for as the 'free' chick they threw in) who is a lovely little thing.

5. BillT

BillT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Sweetwater, TN
    Quote:I know some breeds lay late. I was talking about only brown and white eggs in the "Rainbow" layers.

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I am waiting on my EE to start laying

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I understand your frustration, Bill. I've never seen a brown and white rainbow either. Hope you get some colored eggs from the late girls...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I thought the rainbow layers was just a group of chickens that lay different colored eggs? As in, brown, tan, white, tinted, etc. I would expect some green layers in there also, but its possible you ended up with EEs that just lay brown, tan or white...which is more or less the luck of the draw (albeit, bad luck). Only way to ensure "colored" eggs would be to get pure Ameracuanas......so you would get blue. While a lot of EE's lay colored eggs, not all do.

If you aren't set on a particular breed, here is your chance to get a variety of layers that all lay well. Chickens which lay white, tinted, and brown eggs will be supplied in this beautiful assortment. At least 5 different varieties of our choice are included in Rainbow Layers from these groups of chicks: White Egg Layers, Heavy Breeds, Araucanas, and Rare and Unusual Varieties. We cannot guarantee that breeds from all groups will be included. If you're looking for good layers and want a discount price, our Rainbow Layers will fit the bill.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Robin'sBrood :

I understand your frustration, Bill. I've never seen a brown and white rainbow either. Hope you get some colored eggs from the late girls...

This.

I would hope that hatcheries would keep a number of blue egg layers as breeding stock .. you KNOW if they are hatching chicks out of brown and white eggs, they aren't selling "rainbow layers" ..

People want various shades of blue and green with their white and brown eggs .. or they wouldn't order "rainbow" layers..​

10. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    All you have to do is read the description.....I've never seen yellow, purple and hot pink eggs either, if we want to get technical on "rainbow layers". It states right in the description that white, brown and tinted breeds are included. To get a "rainbow" just order all easter eggers instead of the "rainbow layers".

It may be a somewhat confusing name for the assortment, however its spelled right out in the description what it includes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by