I'm starting to wonder... * Pics Added*

dovecanyon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Weaverville, CA
In October I ordered 3 sexed chicks from MPC (all girls). One RIR, one Barred Rock and one White Leghorn. They hatched on Oct 19, so they are 6 1/2 weeks old now. I have been looking at photos of these breeds whenever I find them on BYC. The White Leghorn looks ok, like a female Wh Leghorn... but I am starting to suspect my RIR and BR. In looking at photos of RIR's, they look much darker, and have some black in them- mine is fairly light red with a lot of white in her feathers. My BR has the correct coloring, but the comb is awfully dark, almost red already, and I'm wondering if she is a boy. If I post pictures tomorrow will you all help me feel better, (or worse)? My son and I really love all three of these chicks, and would be sad to lose the BR (no roos allowed). My RIR is such a love, a real cuddle-bug. Even my Leghorn is friendly and lets me hold her. I guess I just want to know for sure. They have all been lap-chicks from the first day. I had read such good reviews of MPC before ordering, plus they would send only 3. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, you should post pictures! People on here will tell you if they are boys or girls, at least then you'll know not to get too attached...

The " RIR" sounds like a Red Sexlink and with the BR, you can tell by the coloring if it is a male oe female, males are lighter and females are darker. Look at mine, I know they are adults but it doesn't matter you can tell the difference at any age. You can see the roo in the middle is lighter than his hens.
37373_100_5215.jpg

This is my Red sexlink, which sounds like what you received instead of a RIR:
chicksday30018.jpg

10858_597426860171_55007926_34252361_1711389_n.jpg

I have a RIR roo and he started out with white on his head and some white and black specks on his wings, but it all changed over to a dark red with black in the tail as he grew up.

Yep, she's a red sex-link for sure. Looks exactly like that picture. I feel better about my BR. She is black with white marks. Very dark. Her comb is sure red for such a young girl. Thanks... I will post pics tomorrow, just to be sure.

Sorry these are not great pics, but below are my RIR and my Red Star, both about 4 weeks old from MPC. What you are describing does sound more like a Red Star than a RIR. My Red Star is a little darker red than the one in the photo posted by the PP.
38935_img_3213.jpg

38935_img_3210.jpg

my son had some pics in his camera:

4 weeks old
42977_pb180232.jpg

5 weeks old
42977_pb240243.jpg

42977_pb240242.jpg

our BR. Not very good pics... 5 weeks old. Comb looks light here, but it is actually much darker now.
42977_pb240245.jpg

42977_pb240248.jpg

Thanks for your help. My son will be so sad if we have to rehome the BR

Yep that's definitly a red sexlink pullet and the BR does look like a pullet also, but her barring dosen't look very good in the first few pics but I guess it's OK in the last one, I've seen pics of other BRs from MPC that had poor barring, but I would say both are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom