I'm starting to wonder... * Pics Added*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dovecanyon, Dec 3, 2009.

1. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    In October I ordered 3 sexed chicks from MPC (all girls). One RIR, one Barred Rock and one White Leghorn. They hatched on Oct 19, so they are 6 1/2 weeks old now. I have been looking at photos of these breeds whenever I find them on BYC. The White Leghorn looks ok, like a female Wh Leghorn... but I am starting to suspect my RIR and BR. In looking at photos of RIR's, they look much darker, and have some black in them- mine is fairly light red with a lot of white in her feathers. My BR has the correct coloring, but the comb is awfully dark, almost red already, and I'm wondering if she is a boy. If I post pictures tomorrow will you all help me feel better, (or worse)? My son and I really love all three of these chicks, and would be sad to lose the BR (no roos allowed). My RIR is such a love, a real cuddle-bug. Even my Leghorn is friendly and lets me hold her. I guess I just want to know for sure. They have all been lap-chicks from the first day. I had read such good reviews of MPC before ordering, plus they would send only 3. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Well, you should post pictures! People on here will tell you if they are boys or girls, at least then you'll know not to get too attached...

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The " RIR" sounds like a Red Sexlink and with the BR, you can tell by the coloring if it is a male oe female, males are lighter and females are darker. Look at mine, I know they are adults but it doesn't matter you can tell the difference at any age. You can see the roo in the middle is lighter than his hens.
    [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

This is my Red sexlink, which sounds like what you received instead of a RIR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a RIR roo and he started out with white on his head and some white and black specks on his wings, but it all changed over to a dark red with black in the tail as he grew up.

5. dovecanyon

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Yep, she's a red sex-link for sure. Looks exactly like that picture. I feel better about my BR. She is black with white marks. Very dark. Her comb is sure red for such a young girl. Thanks... I will post pics tomorrow, just to be sure.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Sorry these are not great pics, but below are my RIR and my Red Star, both about 4 weeks old from MPC. What you are describing does sound more like a Red Star than a RIR. My Red Star is a little darker red than the one in the photo posted by the PP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. dovecanyon

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    my son had some pics in his camera:

4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

our BR. Not very good pics... 5 weeks old. Comb looks light here, but it is actually much darker now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help. My son will be so sad if we have to rehome the BR

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep that's definitly a red sexlink pullet and the BR does look like a pullet also, but her barring dosen't look very good in the first few pics but I guess it's OK in the last one, I've seen pics of other BRs from MPC that had poor barring, but I would say both are pullets.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yep, definitely a Red Star (aka Red Sexlink). The BR looks like a pullet to me. Congrats!

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by