Im still not clear.

Quote:
Wrong again,

Broody hen does not stop turning and moving eggs at day 18 or whatever species she hatches.

There is a thread on BYC dedicated to this dillema:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=412811&p=3

Racuda took a pictures of marked eggs at day 18 and after.

They are clearly being turned and moved until they hatch.

All this 3 day stopping egg turning mantra probably comes from the fact that big hatcheries move eggs from huge incubators to hatchers, so they have to move them at some point.

Quote:
I set mine on the 1st so I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking. When I have looked I see 4 days and 3 days. I'm turning by hand so tomorrow it will be. I'm so excited about my first hatch. Good luck to you!

Quote:
I set mine on the 1st so I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking. When I have looked I see 4 days and 3 days. I'm turning by hand so tomorrow it will be. I'm so excited about my first hatch. Good luck to you!

i was wrong when i said i thought it was 4 days.. bad memory...sorry...
hu.gif
Go with what Quaillady says @ 3 days

I have to disagree with the broody hens stopping turning. They also don't 'lockdown' like we do. I've had several hens leave nests with pipped eggs and I've seen them turning their eggs with chicks in the nest. Granted, it could be different for quail and chickens, but I doubt it.

I usually end up forgetting about mine and leaving them in the turner. No increased humidity and still turning and they hatch out fine. Of course there is always one that decides to stick his head between the turner racks
hmm.png

ETA that I've never heard to stop turning 4 days prior, 3 is the 'norm'. For coturnix eggs though, when I do remember to move them from the turner I usually do so at day 13 because I've had coturnix hatch any where from day 15 to day 20. If you stop turning them too early you are not going to hurt them, by that time they are big enough to move themselves around in the egg so they don't get stuck.

Last edited:
They are coturnix, Supposed to be a mix of Jumbo Browns, Itallians? and A&M's (whiteys) . Its my first try and with an old incubator. So ive been turning by hand. I have some conflicting info with my (3) thermometers so Im just been keeping it between them right now I have 43 eggs left after 7 were broke when I got them. Right now my temps are 95.8* and 65%hum and 102* and 48%hum . sooo we will see what happens. If none hatch because of the higher temp I had . Im going to invest in a new bator. Or I might try to build one I already have a glass door mini fridge. Tomarrow is day 15, Hday is getting closer and Im trying to be hopefull..
fl.gif

Tony

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom