im sure this sounds silly but i need some help please

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by xchairity_casex, Nov 10, 2011.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    ok now ive never actually killed a chicken much less cleaned it and all i dont even own chickens but im starting my dogs on raw and see tons of free chickens and roosters on CL and think dang free dog food but ive never cleaned a bird before i havent the slightest idea what to do! chop its head off...then what??
    all info and tips would be super appreciated!! including the esiest way if killing them too step by step would be awsome like
    1. kill chicken
    thank you so very very much!

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    If you go to the Meat Birds ETC index, there is a Sticky on the very top of the list that has links to posts that have some excellent posts about butchering chickens.

3. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:I would hang it upside down by the feet and slice throat to let it bleed out. Use a SHARP knife and make a swift, clean cut. Scald the bird in HOT water for a few seconds, and pull the feathers off. I would just give the whole bird to the dog-the bones are not dangerous if the bird is not cooked. I would not let the dog anywhere he can see this process, however, so he doesn't associate your live chickens with his food. Good luck!

4. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
  5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I had to kill my first chicken I went to the web site and printed out the directions. Then I read a paragraph, did what it said and moved on to the next. Before long I had a cleaned plucked chicken ready to put in the fridge. One piece of advice. Don't think about it. Just do it.

6. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    ohh awsome everyone thanks so much! i took a look over the stickies very informitive! i especielly liked the Frugal one but it seems like theres an awful lot of differantt tools involved [​IMG]

also thanks cassia for that bit of info Dont think about it Just do it thats a very good piece of advice for me! as i hate the thought of killing anything lol

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I have a link to my blog in my signature that shows how to process with pretty minimal tools.

For craigslist chickens, it's always good karma to be upfront with the owners on what you will be doing. I have found no lack of folks who give me free roosters and old hens, but I never hide my intention from them. There are a lot of folks out there who don't want their wonderful handsome annoying extra rooster turned into food, but there are more than enough folks who are happy to unload their extra chickens if you let them know up front you'll be using them for a food source [​IMG]

8. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:I would say a policy of don't ask/ don't tell would be in order.... If they don't ask, don't tell....

9. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Do a search on YouTube. There are a lot of videos on how to process a chicken.

10. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I would gut the birds, just the intestines, and maybe the crop too. But that would depend on the dog. If your dog will eat it leave the head and feet attached. I would also pluck the longer feathers (wing and tail) and maybe do a rough pluck, but don't worry about getting all or even most of the feathers. I feed raw to my dogs, cats and ferrets. The dogs have eaten deer skin with hair still on, goundhog with skin and hair, rabbit and squirrel all the same. The cats have eaten quail with feathers still on, I just removed the flight and tail feathers for them. From what I understand the hair/feathers act as fiber and helps keep their digestive tract clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by