I'm thinking about keeping turkeys with my chickens- should I?

Should I add turkeys to the flock?

• Total voters
I raised BB whites one year. That year I lost a lot of chicks. Most of them I found in my water buckets and tubs outside (have ducks so need deep water). I thought they were accidently drowning after falling in and a new cat that had been visiting had gotten the others. I've lost a couple to drowning before but never at this scale. Then one day I witnessed the turkeys pecking one of my chicken hens so much her head was bleeding. I separated the turkeys. After that, no more drowned or dead chicks. That's when I realized the turkeys had been killing them and putting them in the water. If I ever do turkeys again, I'll keep them away from the chickens.

I raised BB whites one year. That year I lost a lot of chicks. Most of them I found in my water buckets and tubs outside (have ducks so need deep water). I thought they were accidently drowning after falling in and a new cat that had been visiting had gotten the others. I've lost a couple to drowning before but never at this scale. Then one day I witnessed the turkeys pecking one of my chicken hens so much her head was bleeding. I separated the turkeys. After that, no more drowned or dead chicks. That's when I realized the turkeys had been killing them and putting them in the water. If I ever do turkeys again, I'll keep them away from the chickens.
That's helpful. Thanks

If you are only going to have them about a year I would go ahead and do it. I have one turkey that was a rescue who I had before I let my chickens free range, and with them out their he doesn't seem to mind at all. He will lay with the chickens and doesn't go after any of the hens, but I would be careful if you have roosters and a male turkey. My turkey is very protective of me and I had a rooster who would attack me and the turkey would go after him and beat him up, so that is something to be wary of. My turkey is also super docile for a male as well, so if you get some that are aggressive, they could do a lot more damage than mine would, but if you raise them from babies and handle them a ton then I don't think it would be a problem, especially if you let them out with the chickens when they are about that size so they will become friendly with eachother.
A question on sexing-
When and how would you sex turkey poults?

This is my 6 week old BBB back on July 18th. Hes almost double that size already in just 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 20210718_090626.jpg
    20210718_090626.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom